30. Something Wicked

Bolting upright, I grasped at my throat as I sucked in air with fervor. I blinked through bleary eyes at Naomi. She sat there beside me, her cold hands trembling around mine and tugging them away from my neck. Her face was half-lit from the rays of light that shone through the curtains, enough to show eyes wide with worry.

"Am awake," I said, voice hoarse and the words barely rolling off my tongue. I frowned at my blood-coated nails. "Sorry."

Naomi released my hands.

I cupped my neck to feel the damage. Many of the gouges crossed the scars, and they hurt. A lot.

"Here, let me," Naomi said while reaching for my neck.

I clenched my eyes shut as she touched my dewy skin, but the tenderness left at the warm sensation of her magic.

"There, all bet—" Naomi gasped.

Alarmed, I snapped my eyes open as she took my hand and traced the barely-there rune. Oh, great. I yanked it away and slid it beneath the blankets, cheeks burning. "It's nothing."

"Wait!" she shrieked. "That's a marriage mark, isn't it?"

A shuffle of feet slapped outside the door before it flew open and slammed into the wall. Blake stared wide-eyed as she clutched the pendant around her neck. "She's what?"

Oh, Goddess. How was I going to tell Blake? My throat tightened as I dipped my head in a nod. "Last night Lauvet came after me."

Blake shook her head, her platinum hair swinging back and forth. "Oh, no. What did she do? How did she even—"

"It wasn't my choice. She sent me to Lacroix." Dipping my chin, I gripped my blankets as Blake's eyes got misty. "He said the only way to save me was to . . . yeah."

"No," Blake said, leaning into the door frame. Tears fell free before she stumbled into the hallway. "I'm in love with him. You knew how I felt. I've waited four years for him!"

"It was this or death. Are you saying I should have died?"

"Of course not!" Blake said, reappearing. Her torso shook as she whimpered through quiet sobs. "It's just . . . it's so unfair!" Descending into hysteric sobbing, she vanished into her room and slammed the door behind her.

"Don't worry about her. She'll come around in a few days." Naomi took my hand and leaned forward with a weak grin. "Well, I'm sorry for what it's worth. Vera Lacroix doesn't sound half-bad, though. I'm assuming you took his name, of course."

That was an interesting point, but I didn't care to think about that yet. I shook my head. "Look, I don't know. We didn't have times for any of that crap. Just stabbed our hands together like a . . . kabob."

"A hand kebob? Gross." Naomi giggled, toying with a strand of her silky hair. "Vampires are hardcore. It's usually a symbolic gesture with like, rope or something. You know, tying the knot."

"I'm not sure we had any other way." I frowned at my hand. I'd have to go into town and get gloves. This wasn't something I wanted to flaunt around by any means. Rayna would have a field day.

A chime rang from the seating area.

"I'll get it!" Naomi sprang to her feet and darted into the hall. It took a minute before she returned, a paper in hand. "It's for you. Sorry, Vee. Looks like you're leaving a little later."

Ugh. I took the paper as she handed it to me. It was a summons from Tedric Halsey.

"Don't tell the others, please." I dropped the paper on the bed and pushed my blankets off. "I can't deal with them knowing yet."