33. The Fiery Skipper

Once I was certain Lucien was gone, I pushed my blanket off and plopped into the chair at my desk. Pens rolled in a drawer when I pulled it open, and rolled again when I shut it. With a pen in hand, I swept up a piece of paper and drew up an invitation for Rhett to come over.

I folded it shut, sealed it, and scribbled Rhett's name on the front. I didn't know his letterbox number, so I pulled a thick, yellow book from the shelf titled The Witch Pages. Flipping it open, I scanned the names and dragged my finger across the pages until I found his name and number. I wrote it in the top-right corner beneath a green stamp and tossed it into my letterbox.

The mail vanished with nothing more than a ring of a bell. I stood, stretched my arms over my head, and started for the door. Another bell. I craned my head for a peek. I had mail already? That was fast. I returned to the desk and lifted the letter. Rhett. He must have been sitting at his box waiting to slip the letter in. Ripping it open, I read.

We're going out for misery cones. RC.

I grabbed my wallet and tossed the letter in the trash bin before heading downstairs to wait. The doorbell rang as I made it to the entry. I pulled a coat on and opened the door before my parents could get to us.

"Misery cones, huh?" I asked, stepping out. Hands buried in my pockets, I joined him down the steps.

"Yeah. I've got some news too. The way I see it, we can be miserable together at Norbert's."

"You and your candy." I smiled fondly.

Rhett raised his nose with a sniff. "It's not candy. This is a delicacy."

"They're toffee cones filled with ice cream."

"Exactly. It's ice cream." As he approached the car, it unlocked with a beep.

Humming, I looked the car over. "I didn't know you had a license."

A brief silence lapsed before Rhett pulled the door open. "Of course, I do. Do you think I'd drive if I didn't? What do you take me for?"

So, no. He didn't have a license. I sank into the passenger's seat, sighed, and pulled the seat-belt on. "If you kill me, I'll never let your spirit rest."

"Relax, Vee. I'm the smoothest driver in Hillfort."

Norbert's Confectionery was tucked within a circle of shops in town

Norbert's Confectionery was tucked within a circle of shops in town. A round door opened to a shop bright with colors and wallpaper enchanted to sparkle and move. As we stepped through the doorway, warmth fell over us in a wave that made my nose and cheeks tingle. We passed half-shelves filled with jars of candies

"Welcome back, Mr. Collins," a voice shouted from the counter. A heavy-set man crossed his hulking arms above his belly and his thick mustache rose as he grinned.

"Evening, Norbert." Rhett held up two fingers. "Two misery cones, please."

"Actually, I'll have a hot chocolate." I gestured to an advertisement hanging behind the counter before sliding a handful of bills forward. Enough to pay for both of us. "It's too cold for ice cream."