17. A Study in Control

Many days passed as I placed my focus on studying and delivering mail, trying to put the painful memory of my near-death experience behind me. My main goal was to learn Relocation, so I read through the book with a zealous focus until I was confident enough to give it a try.

Standing outside of Professor Lacroix's classroom, I tapped my knuckles on the doorframe. Classes had ended a half-hour ago, so it was a relief to see him there still.

"Miss Tate," Lucien said, his gaze lifting to mine. "Is something the matter?"

"No, sir. I was hoping for some supervision. I'd like to attempt Relocation."

"Ah." Lucien leaned back, his lips twisting into a smirk. "I assumed you would take far longer to come to me. You read the book?"

Brandishing the book, I stepped inside. "Twice. You'd be surprised how hard it is to sleep after nearly being murdered."

The start of laughter bubbled from Lucien as he gestured to the floor. "It will be easiest if you sit on the floor."

Taking his advice, I slid to the ground, legs crisscrossed, and set the book down in front of me.

"Tell me what you need to do."

I hadn't expected that approach, but I made a hand-sign all the same. "Hand-sign. Spread my magic around myself. Picture the location and charge my magic. When the charge is ready, I consume it."

"Good. Tell me how you focus on a location."

I dropped my hand to my lap. "Picture a place I'm familiar with. Not from too high off the ground or I'll appear in the air and fall to my death."

"Tell me about the process required to consume the charge."

"Free the magic in my hand and spread it around me . . . again?"

"The book does not explain this, so I will." Lucien brought his hands together. "The purpose behind spreading your magic the first time is for ease. It may sound redundant and costly, but when the pathway around you is pre-drawn it acts as an anchor for the charged magic. When you become proficient in the spell, the anchor will not be necessary."

"Okay." I guess that made sense.

"You will not succeed today, Miss Tate. It will take time, and lots of it. What you want now is to practice the motions. Get a feel for your control. It is easiest on the floor because your shape will be smaller."

My shoulders hung in resignation. I hoped to learn the spell sooner rather than later, but I wasn't going to give up. Determined, I lifted my stare to Lucien's. "I understand."

Lucien wordlessly gestured for me to begin.

Going through the process was more difficult than I thought it would be. It made sense why it was going to take time. If I didn't use enough magic, it spread too thin and eventually vanished altogether. If I used too much, it became a challenge to hold on to and ultimately resulted in waste.

"That is enough," Lucien said. "Return to the book and use your imagination. You may try again Thursday, if you like."

That was it? What a pain. I collected my book with stiff fingers and stood, a little light-headed. I knew it was a spell for juniors, but I didn't think I'd have that much trouble. It sounded so simple.

"You did well for your first attempt."

I snapped my gaze to him, blinking owlishly at his compliment. "I did well?"

Lucien's lips tugged upwards and he waved me to the door with the intent of being rid of me. "Good bye, Miss Tate."

"Bye, sir." I left, my steps sluggish, and began the long walk back to my dorm. My only consolation was that one day, I'd be able to magic myself there. Hopefully.