9: Blueprints

Miku

Although Zorome had insisted that the two of them should be in charge of making the blueprints for the school building themselves, Miku was beginning to see some drawbacks to that idea. For one thing, Zorome had terrible penmanship so everything he wrote on the paper they were doing it on was sort of illegible. For another, none of them knew anything about how to properly measure out proportions and such, making it difficult for Miku to know if the people who built the place would even be able to do it in the first place.  

The two of them spent a ton of time in their little house working on the blueprints. They knew it would likely take years to build the place and they were trying to make it as epic as possible, though it seemed like Zorome kept trying to add pointless things in that Miku thought wasn't entirely necessary, such as an entire room dedicated to him! 

Sometimes he can be such a child! Miku thought as she sat on the floor cross-legged beside her partner, who was going on a tangent now about how a candy room would make the kids happy and would get them to learn better.

Miku finally was unable to sit quietly as he said something stupid about candy dropping from the ceiling. "Zorome, are you dumb?" She snapped.

He shot her a look full of daggers. "What? Whadya mean? What's dumb about a room that shoots candy at kids? I think that's freaking epic!" 

"Listen to yourself," Miku scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You honestly sound like a baby sometimes. Anyway, care to explain to me exactly how candy will come shooting out of the ceiling, exactly?" She gave him a challenging stare, silently willing him to respond to her with something stupid. And, of course, Zorome being Zorome, he did just that. 

"Who cares about how exactly," He retorted. "It just will. We'll make it happen because we're awesome and I'm great and I'm sure we can come up with a way to."

Miku snickered, unable to help herself. "You're ridiculous." She stood up and brushed her skirt off. 

"Where are you going?" Zorome asked, watching her rise to her feet and head over to the door. 

"The outhouse," Miku replied, looking over her shoulder at him. "I'm bored of drawing blueprints. This is all we've done ever since we talked about it with the other teachers two days ago!"

"So...you're going to the bathroom 'cause you're bored?" Zorome asked with a cheeky grin on his face. 

"Of course not!" Miku said exasperatedly. "I...I have to use it." Talking about this made her feel awkward. "But the walk there is kinda nice."

"If you're bored, wanna play ball when you get back?" Zorome asked her.

Miku nodded, relieved that they'd literally be doing anything other than planning blueprints soon. "Sure!" Her response was eager. "I'll be back in a few minutes!" She called to him cheerfully before leaving their small dome-shamed house and heading to the outhouses. 

Zorome 

Zorome lay back in bed as he waited for his partner and greatest friend to return. Hmph! He thought grouchily to himself. There's nothing wrong with having a room full of candy for the kids. 

Just then, someone knocked lightly on the door. Zorome lazily opened one eye and called over to whoever was there. "Who's there?"

The door opened and, to Zorome's surprise, it was Hyaku who entered the room. Zorome quickly sat up.

"It's me," Hyaku told him, though at that point that was kind of pointless. "I was coming to tell you that I talked to some of the others and we found out that we can have materials made soon. Kakeru said we can just store them at the Meeting Centre if we need to until we're ready to teach." He looked around for a moment as though he was looking for something in particular.

"That's good news!" Zorome exclaimed, immediately growing super pumped at the thought of having supplies ready and waiting for them to use. "What kinda supplies?"

"Jasper and Bella think we should wait till the next meeting to talk about it in more detail," Hyaku replied almost distractedly, his gaze still flickering around the room. "They can tell you more about it and ask some questions. Also, hey, where's Miku? Is she around?"

Zorome was confused as to why he was asking that but didn't think much of it. "Uh, she went to use the bathroom at one of the outhouses. You need her or something?"

Hyaku shook his head. "Nope, just wondering. Anyway, I gotta go now. Cya later!" He waved at Zorome before leaving the little house. 

He's an odd dude. Zorome thought, but the thought was brief because a few seconds later, Miku entered the room with a startled look on her face.

"Hyaku just came over to me on my way here," Miku told him. "He said he was just at our house here and that he was talking to you about the materials that he and the others are in charge of." She sat beside Zorome on the edge of his bed. "What'd he say? He told me it was good news!"

"Oh, he told us that apparently, we'll be able to get materials long before we need them!" Zorome told her excitedly. "Apparently, we'll be able to store them at the Meeting Centre until we need them. How cool is that?!"

A smile spread across Miku's pretty face. "That's awesome!" She gasped happily. "I'm so glad! It makes me feel like things are coming together nicely!"

Without any warning, Miku leaned over and pulled Zorome into a hug. Startled, he hugged her back. For a moment, he felt like he could sit there forever hugging her. But she pulled back and dusted her body off as though she'd fallen onto the ground before hopping over to her bed. He saw that she was blushing but was trying to act cool. 

"Uh...," Miku seemed surprised by her own actions. "So, uh, wanna play ball now?"