Epilogue

Miku

Miku smiled as she and the other members of Squad 13 stood underneath Zero Two's tree together. They were now all in their mid-twenties and yet it felt like just yesterday that they'd freed themselves from APE and had become individuals at last. They owed everything to Hiro and Zero Two. Everything Miku and Zorome had gone through to become teachers would not have been possible without their help.

Someone grasped her hand. It was Zorome. His purple eyes were warm with joy and affection. 

"Hard to believe we were just like those little twerps only a few years ago, huh?" Zorome remarked as he turned his head to glance down the hill at the kids who were gathered for the school's yearly opening. 

"It sure is," Miku agreed, gazing fondly down at the little children as they played together beneath the hill. "It feels like we were just freed from APE. Time really does fly when you're having fun." She remembered that the caretakers in the Garden would sometimes use that phrase. It felt weird to know that now she and Zorome had, in a sense, taken over the role that the caretakers had. They now taught children and made sure they became healthy and strong individuals who'd be able to think for themselves. She hoped that they'd question them at times, unlike she and Zorome had done when it came to the adults. She wanted to make sure that nobody would blindly obey orders ever again.

Zorome was a bit lazy at times and slacked off a lot but his heart was in the right place. He was still the same boy he'd been ten years earlier. He was still almost always playing ball, though now he had children much younger than him to play with. Some things really didn't change, it seemed. At least he seemed to be in his glory. That was what mattered.

Zorome

We've made it! I hope you can see us from wherever your souls are, Hiro and Zero Two! Ha! I told you you'd never be able to outshine us! Zorome grinned as he gazed up at the bright blue sky. He missed his two friends more than they'd ever know. He hoped they'd be proud of what he'd accomplished. He know he was proud of what he'd accomplished! 

Everything was as it should be, though there was still a lot of work that needed to be done. Living a self-sufficient life was tiring. It had taken Zorome plenty of time to get used to life without Papa but he was glad he did. It was a shame that he had spent so much time looking up to him and trying to get his attention. That was his biggest regret in life.

Now, he could teach children not to do the same mistakes as him. He'd be able to hopefully teach children to question anything that seemed out of place and would care for them the way he wished Papa and APE had cared for the parasites. These children would live in a peaceful world and would be safe from harm and never have to fight. Zorome would make sure of that.

Having Miku by his side was one of the best parts of being a teacher. He knew he wouldn't have enjoyed it as much without her. The two of them had learned valuable things during their time together and there was nobody else he enjoyed being around as much as her...even if she could be an annoying, naggy pain in the ass sometimes. Just earlier she'd been scolding him about not going to the meeting even though he'd had enough meetings for one week.

Whatever happens, I'm so glad we've all stayed strong! We'll keep staying strong and our legacies will live on forever!