14: A Friend's Comfort

Miku

Zorome had hardly spoken to Miku ever since their argument, which was something that hurt her deeply. She was already mad at him for being childish and not thinking things through while also not taking her advice but this added a whole new layer of anger.

As the days passed through the next week, Zorome and Miku simply shared their house, barely acknowledging each other's presence. Miku did all the cooking and hadn't even bothered asking the grumpy boy for his help, knowing that he'd either ignore her or just simply bicker and find an excuse not to do it. They hadn't bickered at all, actually, since they'd had that argument. That was a red flag, as they'd rarely ever not bickered or had any sort of banter between each other. Zorome had spent most of his time playing ball away from the house when he wasn't at home, which was more than usual that week.

By the time the next meeting came around, Miku was feeling bitter about the whole situation. She and Zorome still walked there together but kept their distance and didn't bother talking. They sat on separate benches when they got to the main room in the Meeting Centre. The only other person there was Hyaku, who instantly went to sit on the bench with Miku.

"You okay?" He asked in a low, quiet whisper, though the room was so big and silent that Miku was a hundred percent sure Zorome could hear him. "Is he still mad about what happened last week?" 

Miku nodded. "Yeah," She said, shooting her partner an angry look. "He is. He's acting childish about it."

Zorome glared at her, fuming. "If you're just gonna be condescending I'm just gonna leave!" He snapped. 

"Hey," Hyaku glared at him. "Don't be like that, Zorome! She's right about you being childish."

Zorome bristled. "Say what?" He practically snarled. 

Hyaku stood up. "You heard me," He sneered. "Miku's right about you being childish about this!"

"Wanna fight?" Zorome leaped to his feet and tensed his muscles. 

"Zorome, enough!" Miku spat. She'd had it with her partner.  "Please...just stop it, okay? I don't wanna get into anything right now."

Zorome clenched his jaw, looking like he wanted to say something more or act out again, then clearly thought better of it. He sat back down and crossed his arms grumpily, averting his gaze from Miku and Hyaku. 

A few minutes later, the rest of the group arrived and the meeting began, with Zorome refusing to make eye contact or even talk to anyone. 

***

That meeting was their least productive, seeing as Zorome refused to contribute in any way due to his stupid grudge. He didn't bother even trying to boss anyone around throughout the whole thing!

When it was over, the sandy-haired boy was the first to leave. He quickly stood up and stormed out of the room without saying a thing to anyone. Miku watched him go, frowning anxiously. She realized that she wasn't just angry but she was also worried about him for reasons she didn't understand.

"Hey," Hyaku's voice made her turn her attention away from the door. "Do you want to go on a walk with me? Maybe talk about things?"

Miku thought about it for a moment. He seems comforting enough...

"Yes, I do!"

Zorome

After the meeting was over, Zorome headed to the clearing where he'd taken a liking to playing ball by himself. It was a clearing outside the array of houses, surrounded by trees that many former parasites had uprooted from their plantations and brought there to make the place liveable and more pleasant for everyone. 

Playing ball by himself was something he'd done since he was just a little child, most notably whenever he needed to think. He loved to play it with others too, only there was nobody he knew well enough to feel like playing ball with near his new home yet. He certainly felt like blowing off steam, however, and this was the only way he was able to do that these days. 

Ugh! I don't understand why that girl changes her mind all the time about dumb shit! Zorome thought as he kicked the ball upward, bopped it against his head, and repeated the motion over and over again. Seriously! I thought she wanted the same thing as me! Doesn't she want everyone to see how great we are for a change? These people aren't squad 13! They don't need or deserve the same recognition as our squad. Although he felt a pang of guilt, he still thought he was right. Although these people were his friends, he knew without a doubt that he'd never be able to replace his former squadmates. Never. He cared about them fiercely. Besides, wanted this to be his chance to lead a group! He'd just been hoping that Miku would be on the same page...

Suddenly, Zorome heard a very familiar voice from somewhere outside the clearing. "This is your house?"

Zorome immediately dropped the ball onto the grass and hid behind a tree, peering around it carefully. A certain redhead girl and silver-haired boy were standing together beside one of the dome-shaped houses that were right beside the clearing where he came to play ball each day. Miku and Hyaku! He thought. Hyaku lives here? 

"Yup!" Hyaku replied with a hint of pride in his tone. "And unlike with your house, mine has electricity and plumbing. It's still tiny though. Not much to see."

"I wanna go in anyway!" Miku's voice was cheerful and full of curiosity. She seemed happier than Zorome had seen her all week. 

Hyaku chuckled. "Why not?" He opened the door and the two walked into the little house together. As he closed the door, Zorome saw the light turn on inside through the window. 

He stared at the house for a moment, his eyes wide with surprise. He hadn't realized Hyaku lived so close to where Zorome had come to play ball each day for the past week. In fact, he didn't know where any of his new friends lived. 

I'll just go home... Zorome thought. He walked over to where he'd left his ball, picked it up, and began to walk home. As he walked, however, he couldn't shake off a feeling that he despised. One that made him dislike Hyaku and nervous that Miku was spending time with him. It was jealousy.