49-Final Test

It was already an hour past the meeting time when Aoi, who was sitting in the shade of the giant pine tree, finally heard the voices of his three subordinates. As per usual, when they finally broke into the small clearing Kuria and Eiji were arguing. Jinhai was dutifully ignoring them, leading the way. At the sight of Aoi, all three stopped and sighed briefly in relief.

Aoi stood, looking the three over. "Eiji, give me the kunai you have hidden in your sleeve."

The boy started in shock, which was swiftly replaced with indignation. "I don't have any weapons!"

Humming faintly, Aoi sprinted faster than their eyes could follow, pulling the kunai from Eiji's sleeve. Simply standing before Eiji, the younger boy didn't seem to notice the kunai at his throat until the feeling of blood trickling down his neck from a pinprick-like wound became apparent. Caught off guard, he stumbled back, scared off by both Aoi's close proximity and the actual wound the blue-haired jonin had caused.

"Don't take me for a fool, please." There was a steel in Aoi's eyes that, even though his voice remained neutral, made all three take yet another step backwards. "I am a jonin, better and stronger than all three of you put together. Over the past two years, I have been taught to be more observant, able to make out the slightest twitch of an eye. You would do well to remember this as well: I received this training from the head shinobi in torture and interrogation."

Three audible gulps were all that accompanied this statement, fear clear on their faces.

Backing away, Aoi stashed Eiji's kunai in his own holster, the menacing look vanishing from his eye. "Now then, you all should be running laps around Konoha for being late, however we can do that after the test. Of course, you'll have an hour less in the race."

"Race?" Kuria couldn't help the word slipping past her lips, even though she was sure that Aoi would have elaborated.

"Yes, race." Aoi glanced at her for a brief moment before continuing. "This race is against both time, and your fellow teammates. You see, we have to narrow down the numbers of graduating genin, so we will be having a contest. To be precise, a scavenger hunt. You three will all get your lists, track down your items, and try and be the first one back here."

There was a small silence, and as Aoi had expected, Jinhai spoke up. "That sounds simple, so why do I think there is a catch?"

"Because there is." Aoi stated. "You have to make it back here by noon today, and only the first two will be able to move on to the second test. Of course, there is also the chance that none of you will be back in time, in which case you will all fail. Because this is a team activity, you may not ask for assistance of any sort from either regular citizens or other shinobi teams. The last rule of this test, is that you may not return with, nor use, any item not stated on the lists. That is all there is to it."

"Second test?" Kuria's curiosity was aroused.

"Yes, the two that make it back will be competing against one another to see who our graduate from you three is." Aoi looked at all three faces, seeing determination. "Any other questions?" At the shakes of their heads, Aoi nodded. "Then off you go."

At this there was the biggest hesitation. All three looked at one another before Eiji stated the obvious. "Um... Aoi-sensei, what about the lists? We never got them."

"That's the first object you have to find then, isn't it? I'll give you a hint, you've had access to it almost all morning."

Thoughtful looks overcame them before Kuria looked up. "Our bedrooms?" Aoi didn't react.

Eiji looked up swiftly. "That must be it! That's what we've had access to all day!" Jinhai looked unsure, but nodded as well. "It's decided then! The best genin, which is obviously me, is going to win this!"