58-Travel

It was a relaxed travel experience, as far as Aoi was concerned. No battles with bandits or enemy shinobi threatened them, and despite his father's almost constant stream of conversation, which at this point was more of an impressive monologue, he found that he was more than capable of almost enjoying the travel.

Night had fallen at this point, and camp was set. A small fire burned, heating a stew of the rabbit Aoi had earlier skewered and skinned with his kunai. For once, Shin had settled down and was content to just be near his son. Soon enough, the meal was done and the air was filled with the clank of wooden spoons lifting the stew to eager mouths.

Eventually, the silence was broken. "Hey, Aoi-sensei, have you ever been to Kumogakure?" It was Jinhai, pure curiosity adorning his face.

The jonin shook his head. "I haven't been." There was another lull into silence.

"What do you think it will be like?" Kuria posed the question this time. An expression of unrest gracing her expression, her worry evident.

"From what I have heard, it is a village that extends up into the skies. The buildings are contained in soaring mountains, almost to the point that you can't differentiate them from the actual mountains surrounding." An almost imperceptible shrug danced across his shoulders. "It is a fair distance north of Konoha, so it can be assumed that it will be colder as well."

At this point, Shin broke in. "The Kumo shinobi are strong willed. That can be said for most ninja of the five villages though. For the most part, they spend their time up in their homes, which aren't easily reached, a great defensive position to be sure, however around the chunin exams many stalls and shops will set up at the base of the mountains. Mostly because visiting nobles aren't accustomed to the altitude difference. Most hotels will also be on the lower streets as well." His short explanation drew some questioning glances, so he supplied more information. "I took my chunin exams in Kumogakure as well. It's quite a beautiful village, if you aren't scared of heights."

"Isn't there a kage in this village as well?" Eiji, ever focused on the more 'important' aspects of the village, posed this question.

Shin let out a nervous chuckle. "Yes, the Raikage. He is possibly the most bull-headed shinobi that I have encountered. Very loud and very determined, he leads mostly by riling up his village. Very good at it too, giving speeches and all that. Very good for general moral. I've heard that his skills for paperwork and discussions can be lacking though." Aoi nodded at this, since Tsunade had told him much the same thing about the village leader.

Seeing that the children had finished their meal, Aoi spoke up then. "It's getting late, I suggest you three get some sleep. We still have about a week until we reach Kumogakura."

The children all nodded, knowing the quick pace Aoi liked to set on their travels outside the village. Almost as one, they rolled into their sleeping bags. Aoi looked over at Shin for a second before standing and turning from the fire. His eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness as he took a few steps from the light. Focusing some chakra into his ears and eyes, he expanded the range he could sense. Dinner was one matter, but it wouldn't do to not have a guard during the night.

It was silent for quite a while, and Aoi thought that maybe Shin had fallen asleep, but a sharp intake of breath disillusioned this thought. "How are you feeling?" If not for the forewarning, Aoi might have been startled by this sudden question from his father.

"I'm fine," There was a pause before Aoi went on, "Why do you ask?"

The fire gained a new light behind him and the shifting of wood told Aoi his father had taken to stirring the fire. "You seem on edge lately. More than usual, that is." The blond jonin said that last part with a slight chuckle.