56-Happy Birthday

Aoi walked between his two companions, whom he usually considered friends, but he now found to be captors more than anything. Migota and Murasaki, who he hadn't seen for at least a month, had appeared on his doorstep, smiling broadly and grabbing him by both arms to effectively drag him along behind them. They had taken him to the main shopping district in Konoha, dragging him from clothing stores to weapon shops and everything in between.

He had tried to sneak off once, but they effectively kept him with a death-grip on his wrist as they dragged him down the street. Rather strangely, as he walked through the town, Aoi hadn't seen his students, though they had the day off to do what they pleased.

"Hey Murasaki," The boy looked over at Migota as she spoke, "I think we could head over now."

A brief glance at the sky from the purple haired boy and Murasaki nodded his agreement. "It should be alright."

"What do you mean?" The two looked at one another, and instead of answering Aoi's question grabbed him by his arms and pulled him down the street. They headed off in the direction of his apartment, so Aoi put up no resistance to the contact. It wasn't long before they were at his front door.

Even though Aoi had been sure that he had locked his door earlier, Migota opened it no problem. Murasaki spun him before pushing him through the entrance. Losing his balance from the unexpected spin and shove combination, as well as catching his foot on the step just inside the door, Aoi landed on his bottom facing his two smiling 'friends.'

"Happy birthday!"

The chorus rang out behind him, and Aoi looked over his shoulder in surprise. Behind him was  a crowd of people with a broad banner behind them. He picked out Michi, Jinhai, Kuria, Eiji, the entire group he graduated the academy with, as well as a few of the students that studied with him under Ibiki.

Aoi remained speechless even as confetti from small poppers rained down around him. Looking back at Migota and Murasaki, he saw mischief in the delighted grins they had. He searched his memory, trying to remember what a birthday was, self-explanatory he realized now. Was today his birthday?

"I missed you Aoi!" Almost throwing the person through the wall, he stopped himself as he was hugged nearly breathless.

"F-father?" Confusion growing by the second, Aoi didn't know how to react.

"Are you surprised? I got permission from both kage to come celebrate your birthday." Shin was beaming with pleasure. "When I found out your friends were planning a surprise party, I had to chip in."

"I. . . see. . ." It was obvious that his explanation did nothing to clear up Aoi's mind.

Migota and Murasaki came over and Shin released him. They hauled the confused jonin to his feet and pushed him toward the celebration. A massive group of smiling faces were on both sides as they made their way in.

"Well then, let's start with some food!" Michi was the one to shout this, and the entire group cheered in agreement.

_+_

"Okay, it looks like the last gift is from team 13." Aoi's three students made their way forward as Migota said this.

Eiji was the one to hold out a small, wrapped box. They all grinned as Aoi removed the wrapping to reveal several packs of pocky and other various sweets. As Hane saw this, he practically dive-bombed toward the candy, held back by Aoi as he also held the gift away from the bird. Everyone erupted into laughter as they saw this.

Aoi blew out the candles on the cake presented to him, and everyone broke off into individual conversations as the party wound down. Without much notice, Aoi slipped out the door for a bit of fresh air. As he sat there, he reflected that he hadn't expected for anyone to do this, let alone for so many to celebrate as well.

It was a definite change from when he was a captive of Orochimaru.

He closed his eyes briefly, tired from the day. As he did so, he heard a whistle through the air, and dodged to the side. A kunai now pierced the wall where his head had been a moment before. His gaze followed the path it would have been thrown from and he saw a brief flicker of movement as someone dashed off, too quickly for even Aoi to track.

Suspicions raised, they were proved correct as a small tag attached to the kunai fluttered in the breeze.

Don't let the village give you false security.

At the bottom corner, a blue circle acted as a signature, letting him know exactly who had thrown the kunai. Pulling the kunai from the wall, Aoi hid it behind his back as the door to his apartment opened.

"Aoi-sensei, what are you doing out here?" It was Kuria, as his disappearance was finally noticed.

Faking a smile, he slipped the kunai in his pouch as he approached her. "Just taking a small break." Kuria was confused by the smile, but nodded, moving aside as Aoi returned to his party.

_+_

There! Chapter done, and I'm just a little happy about it. I feel like I haven't written what I wanted to in AGES! Don't get me wrong, I like to branch out and write other stuff, but when I don't have time for personal projects I get... antsy. Anyway, yay.

This chapter was more of a 'filler' because I kinda wanted a celebratory chapter after a hard final term of my senior year. I am officially done with highschool! Fina-fucking-ly. Now I'm off to college to get that math degree! I move out in less than a month and I am low-key dying of excited nervousness. That won't stop my writing though!

I know it was a short chapter, but the next one will be longer and a bit more plot(y). This is the part that I have been wanting to write for nearly a year and a half now. I. Am. Stoked. I hope you'll all like it!

RQ: What type of music do you listen to?

Anyway, as this is the third story I have read through, edited, and posted today, I am going to sleep. Check out the short story I posted in my one-shot book called Life Savior, as well as Revelation of Worlds' third chapter (and the first two). I am really proud of both of those works, though I want the short story to be a novel as well... Anyway, I've rambled long enough now.

Vote and comment, or whatever. I'll be aiming to post at least one more chapter before I move out, meaning this month, so look forward to it!

-Nicky~

P.S. I have no idea what music I've posted in this book anymore, so enjoy?