40-The Beach

Aoi stiffened at the tight embrace, and at the words that Shin was saying. He wasn't completely sure what a father was beyond the person who had given him half of his genetic coding. After a moment or two of being hugged, with Migota and Kou releasing his hands when they were sure Aoi wouldn't kill the man, the blue-haired teen started to move.

Shin, for his part, was hugging so tightly that it was surprising that Aoi could still breath. Tears streamed down his face as he embraced the boy that he was nearly certain was his son. The love and warmth that he felt and tried to share with Aoi in those moments were such that only a father could feel. When Aoi started to move his arms, hope grew that the teen would hug him back.

That thought was quickly crushed.

Grabbing one of the arms that embraced him, Aoi loosened the grip so that he could make room for his arm between the two. In a short movement, he thrust his fist upward, knocking the air out of Shin. Though it traveled a short distance, the force put into the strike was unmistakable as the older man bent double in pain. Using the movement, Aoi pulled him forward and pinned Shin to the floor with an arm twisted behind his back and his face being driven into the dirt road.

It took a moment for anyone to register what had just happened. After Shin saying that Aoi might be his son, nearly no one was expecting the reaction the young teen had. Shikamaru was the first to react, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder. Aoi snapped his gaze, and seeing the relaxed manner Shikamaru had, released Shin and stood up.

The leader of the mist shinobi yelled out then. "What do you think you are doing? Are you trying to start a fight?"

Aoi tilted his head. "Why would I be trying to start a fight?"

"Please excuse my team leader," Shikamaru sighed as he said this, gesturing to Aoi, "He isn't the best with physical contact."

As if looking for confirmation, the mist shinobi glanced at the other teammates, who all nodded in agreement. At just that moment, Shin let out a groan and rolled onto his side.

"You have a good uppercut there son." For some reason, Aoi felt a slight scratching feeling in the back of his mind at that sentence and his eyebrow unconsciously twitched.

The mist shinobi seemed to relax after a moment of watching the leaf shinobi. "Well then, we ought to get going if we want to make it to the village before the exams end. Are you ready?"

After dismissing Neji upon his return, the Hyuuga left with his team. The two teams of shinobi then headed toward the mist once more, with two people of them more than aware of the other's presence.

_+_

Waves gently rocked the boat as the group was relaxing. The two groups of shinobi had come to an understanding of sorts, and though there was no love lost between the groups, they certainly weren't in any danger of attacking one another. The cawing of seagulls overhead was a calming thing, and the scene held a peaceful air.

Two people didn't seem to notice this however. It had been two days since they had joined up, and in that time Shin hadn't left Aoi's side for more than a few minutes. The older male seemed exuberant at finding his son, or so he believed, and wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. At the moment the two were sitting side-by-side at the edge of the deck. Aoi was silent, but Shin kept talking despite this, going on about the hidden mist village. It was clear that Aoi wasn't listening, but Shin didn't seem to care.

Migota and Kou sat on the other side of the boat, stealing glances at the pair in interest. Eventually they both gave up on spying when Migota let out a sigh. Turning, Kou looked at her.