34-Memories Linger

Aoi, Ryo, and Kodomo entered Konoha silently, signing in at the gate without so much as a word to Izumo and Kotetsu. The two gate guards looked after the three curiously, wondering what was up, until they saw Ryo tightly clenching a fist around a scroll and noticed the absence of their fourth team member. They sat back, knowing all too well what had likely happened.

Kodomo looked around at the bustling streets, wondering at how everything was still so happy and joyful. Though he didn't know it, Ryo was thinking much the same thing, both of their eyes hidden in shadow. They wove their way through the crowds of people, making their way to the red building under the rock faces. Though they had never seemed so before, Ryo felt that they were looking down at him accusingly, cursing him for what had happened.

When the trio reached a relatively calm street, there was a shuffling in one of the bushes on the side of the road. Two brown eyes watched the group as they passed, before bursting out of the jumble of snow covered sticks. "This time you're going down Aoi!" Eiji aimed a kick at the older boy's head, but all Aoi did was lift an arm. He stopped the kick before it made contact with his head, and Eiji fell to the ground.

"You could only block that because I was waiting so long!" Eiji clambered out of the snow, the powder still clinging to him. "Real ninja show up on- Hey! Hold on! Listen to me!" Aoi had kept walking, not even pausing to look at the boy. "You're going to regret this next time!" Puffing out his cheeks, Eiji stomped away, angry at how he was ignored.

Aoi's eyes became even duller, the faint shine they had before the mission completely gone. He reflected on how easy it was to block the attack, to stop that single thing from hitting. Though he didn't know the name, he was feeling immense regret at what had happened to Kaori. And without even making a conscious thought of it, was upset at how weak he had been at the time. The other two sensed his mood and didn't comment, lost in their own thoughts.

They walked into the red building, making their way to the Hokage's office. Aoi knocked lightly on the door before Tsunade called out for them to enter. When they entered the room, the small smile that had been on Tsunade's face completely disappeared as she took in their appearance.

Bowing with his arms at his side, Tsunade could tell from his extra stiff posture that one of Aoi's ribs was broken. Added to the tears in his clothing, and bled-through bandages, he definitely looked worse for wear. She noted that one of his si were missing, and his hands held a certain pallid tone that said they were still slightly frozen from an extended period of extreme cold.

Her eyes landed on Kodomo next, and the usually lively black eyes were empty and cold, his sea green hair casting shadows over them. He had spots of red covering his clothing, and now that Tsunade looked closer she noticed they all did. Then something caught her eye. Ryo, hand shaking, was clutching a scroll. Finally realizing that Kaori was nowhere to be seen, Tsunade stood, and walked around her desk.

"Thank you." She held out a hand, and Ryo placed the scroll in it, a blank look on his face. "Ryo and Kodomo, you may leave, and take the next two weeks off. Aoi, would you please stay behind a few moments?"

The two walked out the door, leaving Aoi and Tsunade standing in the empty office facing each other. "Aoi, how do you feel?"

"My health is fine, I will go to the hospital later for my wounds." Aoi didn't look at her face, just stared straight ahead as he said this in his monotone voice.

Sighing, she led Aoi over to a couch, making him sit down. "I'll treat your wounds." Her hands began to glow green as she held them over the cut on his arm, the edges beginning to stitch together. "Tell me what happened."

Without hesitation, Aoi began to recount the events of what had happened on the mission. When he got to the details of the fight, Tsunade interrupted. "Ax men? That isn't a normal weapon to use..."