62-Mock Wars (1)

Jinhai was pacing back and forth inside the tent, something that the other two occupying the small enclosure watched, since they lacked anything else to do. They were waiting for the alarm that will signal the war's beginning, but it seemed like they'd been waiting for more than five hours.

Kuria and Eiji were with their own groups for this fight, and though they hadn't been a team long, Jinhai wondered if it really was the best choice to split up. Then again, they had agreed on this during the walk to the tent before the meeting. Every shinobi had their skills, and he just needed to remember that. Just like a shogi game.

"You think he's gonna make a trench in here?" Jinhai feigned that he didn't hear this as he turned once more to walk in the other direction. The Genjutsu user from Kumo had said it. While they hadn't really spoken one-on-one, Jinhai could tell that the other was no longer going to argue with his decisions.

"Probably, at the rate he's going." Sighing with defeat once the trap expert agreed, Jinhai slumped into one of the scattered stools in the tent.

"Sorry, I just can't help but worry," it was the first time Jinhai had spoken not as their 'commander,' but as a teammate. "I get that everyone is strong enough to be here, but that doesn't help calm my nerves."

"Hey, I'm worried too, after all the only team that is working with an original teammate is the two from Kiri, that staff user and the umbrella girl." The genjutsu user looked over. "We're all worried for our teammates. Er... It was Jinhai right? Your name that is?"

The small talk seemed to get Jinhai out of his serious mood that he'd held all day. "Yeah. Well, to be honest I never got either of your names either."

"Masato," the genjutsu user said without preface.

The trap user chuckled ever so slightly, "I'm Hotaka."

Before any more pleasantries could be exchanged, there was the sound of a horn blasting through the air. It seemed the mock war had begun. The intercoms they each wore in their ear signaled that everyone was in position and Jinhai sat a little straighter.

"Let's win this 'war.'"

_+_

Aoi and Neji stood in the middle of a field, with Shikamaru and Kou standing nervously to the side. Well, at least Kou was standing nervously, it seemed more like Shikamaru regarded the pair with a lax, calculative stare. Perhaps he was guessing as to how each side would fight to try and ensure their victory.

There was no official signal to start, but while Neji slid into his familiar stance and Aoi stood ready to summon a weapon, no movement progressed past that. They seemed to be taking one another in, trying to anticipate the first move. When, for whatever reason, a horn sounded in the distance, one shot toward the other.

It was too fast for Kou to take in, but a moment later she saw Aoi, one tonfa in each hand, blocking the rapid jabs Neji aimed at him. Kou watched avidly, only seeing the blurs of motion from the two. Shikamaru, more used to battle, was able to see more.

While it seemed that Aoi was blocking every strike without a problem, there were small moments in which Neji's hand slipped past his guard briefly, usually hitting somewhere on his shoulder or arm. It didn't happen often, but Shikamaru was aware that Neji was managing to hit at least a few chakra points.

After what seemed like mere moments to Kou, it was Aoi's turn to go on an attack. The tonfa, useful for defense, now swung out unpredictably in offensive maneuvers. It was near impossible for one to discern when Aoi was going to simply jab forward or when he was going to flick his wrist, spinning the weapon out in a broader attack that used the length of the weapon for added force and range.