18-A Glimpse of His Past

The pounding on the door leading to the Hokage's office was anything but pleasing, especially so early in the morning. Knowing who was on the other side of the door, the Hokage decided to endure it for as long as possible. There was a pause, and for a moment everyone gathered behind the door thought that maybe they had left. Then the kicking joined in. Annoyed faces appeared on a majority of the people in the room.

Eventually the Hokage could take the racket no longer. He sighed loudly, though it was nearly drown out from the banging on the locked door. "To think someone usually so reserved would raise such a fuss..." The Hokage muttered lowly. Raising his voice he called out, "come in!" The banging stopped. One of the people in the room reached over and unlocked the door.

A door creaked open, and a figure entered into the office. There was no sign of the pounding that had gone on for near an hour anywhere in his obsidion eyes. With a glare that was almost constantly on his face, Sasuke faced the room full of Jonin and Anbu. He looked to them all, but then focused his sole attention on the Hokage.

"Good morning Sasuke, it's good to see you up so early," there was the faintest traces of sarcasm laced into the Hokage's words. There was a breif grunt from Sasuke, but other than that he just stood before the Hokage. "Was there something you wanted?" A snort from one of the jonin was quickly stiffled at that.

"Why is Aoi already a chunnin? What happened in his past? Don't give me the story about his parents, we both know that's a lie." Sasuke glared into straight into the Hokage's eyes, fully knowing how disrespectful he was being.

Before anyone could respond, Izumo appeared in the doorway. "Hokage-sama, I got Kakashi to come like you had requested." At a lazy pace one would stroll around a park in, Kakashi's silver hair appeared in the doorway.

"Sorry I'm late, I found a lost dog and needed to return it to the owner." Most people in the room simply rolled their eyes, used to Kakashi's habit by now. Turning to his student, Kakashi opened his mouth to speak.

"Don't even try Kakashi-sensei. You won't make me give up on this." Sasuke glanced back at the older man before facing the Hokage again. "Nothing about Aoi adds up. He's too strong, even for a chunnin, and there is no way he wouldn't have shown up in the academy until just a year ago. Not to mention that he doesn't understand emotion, which is unnatural. Added to that, nobody on our team was aware of him being a chunnin, making it all the more suspicious. No one on the team has really even seen him train." If anyone had bothered, it could be noted that was probably the most Sasuke had said at once to date.

The Hokage cast a glance at Kakashi, who simply shrugged. Inoichi, who stood by the desk, spoke then. "If I may, I would like to speak." At the Hokage's nod, he went on. "It was only a matter of time until people started to ask questions, Hokage-sama. It is a fair assumption everyone here can be trusted as well. Maybe telling some of Aoi's past would be a good idea."

All eyes turned to the leader of the village expectantly. He raised the pipe to his lips, biting down on it thoughtfully. Looking at those surrounding him, the Hokage could see curiousity in more than a few eyes. It was a rather closely guarded secret after all. Without a word, he pulled out a blank scroll from his desk and took a brush. Everyone looked on as his hand flowed across the paper. When he stopped and let it dry for a moment, the Hokage looked up.

"This isn't my story to tell, and so I will not be the one to tell you anything." Touching a spot of ink to make sure it was dry, the Hokage then rolled up the scroll. "If you want information on the subject, you will have to ask the one who lived through it. Sharing this should be good for Aoi anyways." With this, the Hokage stamped his seal onto the scroll. "Kakashi, give this scroll for Aoi to read over. Afterwards, Sasuke, you can ask Aoi what you will."