38-Prepping for the Mission

The sun had just dipped below the horizon as Aoi and Tenzo knocked on the door. A firm 'come in' was heard, and they both stepped into the Hokage's office. Neji was off to the side, a few cuts and bruises on him, with Michi a pace or two away looking through some papers. When Aoi entered the room, her eyes flashed to him then back to the papers which were quickly stowed in her pouch. Disregarding the other two, Aoi looked to the Hokage, who was studying him closely.

Then, as if she had come to a decision, she looked at Tenzo. "What would you say?"

"I think he has the qualities it takes to be a jonin of the leaf." There was no doubt to be seen in the older man's expression, and Tsunade nodded.

She sent a smile at Neji and Aoi. "Well then, it seems like you have both passed your preliminary test to become jonin. Next will be more or less a test mission. The difficulty isn't great and there shouldn't be much danger, nonetheless, it is a mission requiring a jonin level shinobi." Neither said anything, so Tsunade continued, "In short, your mission will be to protect Princess Kou, the daughter of a feudal lord, as she travels to the land of waves as a guest at a wedding. Come in tomorrow for more details."

_+_

A fierce pain on Aoi's left arm woke him the next morning, and he swatted at the figure that caused it. Hane squawked moving out of the way of Aoi's hand. Aoi was used to the bird's ways by now, and this was a normal routine. The bird was much larger than Aoi had ever expected it to get, coming up to his knee if it sat on the ground next to him. Rubbing the beak mark on his arm, Aoi pondered how that had hurt a lot less when Hane was smaller.

Moving quickly and efficiently, Aoi got ready for the day, preparing breakfast for him and Hane. He then left his apartment, swords strapped to his back and a new pair of si strapped to his legs. Hane perched on Aoi's left shoulder, which he had taken to covering with hard leather which stretched down the entire length of his arm.

The walk to the Hokage's office took no more than ten minutes, and soon Neji was standing beside him as Tsuande handed out the mission file. They both took a copy and looked it over. Their mission was to escort Princess Kou to the chunin exams being held in the Land of Waves. Halfway there, they would be joined by a team of mist shinobi. The mission was to last for two months at most from the time they left the village.

Neji was the first to speak. "How can we trust the mist shinobi? Are we sure they won't just kidnap her or even kill her?"

"Good question, but unless they wish to start a war they won't do either. Because princess Kou is from our nation they will be contending with us. That alone wouldn't scare them, but her husband, Prince Komali, is part of a nation under the protection of the land of wind, whose help is further gained by our alliance with the Sand Village. Unless they wish to start a war against two great nations, they wouldn't dare to harm her."

Neji nodded his understanding. "Now then, if there are no further questions, you should go pick your teams. Neji will be providing support from the shadows should any trouble happen. When you meet the mist shinobi, you can return to the village. Aoi, you will be traveling alongside the princess in the open as she makes her way there. I expect a positive report when you return. Good luck."

With nothing further to say, she dismissed the two and they left. Aoi turned to face Neji as he began to speak. "I don't believe we have ever been on a mission together, but I have heard a lot about you." He remained silent for a while before continuing. "After this mission, I would like to have a match with you, you seem like a worthy opponent. My name is Neji Hyuuga."

"I'm Aoi," he nodded slightly, "I look forward to the match." Neji seemed a little skeptical when Aoi didn't give his last name, but Aoi disregarded it and walked off. Pausing he turned back, "Meet you at the gates in one hour."