57-Powerful Words

Team 13 waited under the large pine tree where they often met up to train. Aoi had called them out on their day off to talk to them, not divulging much more information than that. They had been there a few minutes before two figures made their way under the expansive boughs. Shin had been talking excitedly about something, but as the team came into his view he paused in his speech. After the birthday party, it was revealed that he had been allowed to stay for more than that day, and as such had followed his son around.

Used to the sight of Aoi's father, team 13 ignored him and turned their attention to Aoi, who was pulling papers from the pouch. Interest showed in their eyes, but they knew that Aoi would explain without them asking.

"I have applications for the upcoming chunin exams." Aoi got straight to the point, not wasting time on superfluous talk. This only served to create a small amount of confusion however.

"The chunin exams? I haven't heard any talk of them being held this year?" Kuria meant her words as a statement, but they came out as more a question.

"It wasn't put forward as public knowledge that they were being held, as originally the Hokage had no intention of sending any genin this year; however, I convinced her to allow sending you three."

"Why wasn't she going to send anybody, and why would she send us of all people qualified to attend?" Jinhai posed the question this time, hoping for more details.

Aoi, focused on the questions, ignored his father who was teasing Hane with food off to the side. "She originally didn't want to send anyone because of the location of the exams, and I only managed to convince her after hours of discussion on the topic. For the most part, your participation is to help you grow stronger, so that you will be able to battle more confidently in the future."

"Where are the exams taking place?"

"Kumogakura." As Aoi said this, there was a shout of pained surprise from behind as Hane grew fed up with Shin and bit him.

_+_

It was that same day as Aoi found himself facing a familiar face that was contorted in complete anger. For his part, Aoi betrayed no emotion, though the same couldn't be said for his father, who stared at the person who confronted them in confused curiosity.

After a brief pause, Ryo spoke. "What the hell did you do, Aoi?"

"You will have to be more specific, because I have done more than a few things in my life." His calm reply only seemed to irritate Ryo even more.

"I'm talking about the chunin exam! Even though we're more experienced than the sorry lot you babysit, Tsunade chose only your team to participate!" Shin, off to the side a bit now, thought he saw brief anger flash across his son's face. "When she said she would let one team participate, it's obvious that she would have sent more experienced shinobi! So I ask again, what the hell did you do, Aoi?"

"Perhaps she chose my team so they could gain the wealth of experience you supposedly possess." Ryo opened his mouth to reply, then paused as the tone of sarcasm hit him. Even Shin was surprised, not expecting the condescending tone Aoi took on. "As it stands, Tsunade has offered my team a shot at the chunin exam, and we accepted."

The dark look on Ryo's face intensified, before it seemed to disappear into an unnerving calm. Shin visibly tensed at this, but Aoi seemed unconcerned. "You know Aoi, you're right. Why shouldn't I step aside and give my junior comrades a chance to reach my level of experience? I'll just take the next test." A sneer came to his face. "If you thought that would be my response, you're a fool."

"I don't plan on rescinding my agreement to have my students take the exam."

"They can't take it without an instructor." As if hoping that would throw Aoi off, Ryo closed his eyes and thrust his palm forward.

Anticipating this, Aoi swayed to the side as he took a step back, the hand passed him by. Ryo had followed up with several more strikes, aimed at arms and torso, but each seemed to just miss their target, as Aoi practically danced away. Shin, caught slightly off guard at Ryo's attack, watched as his son calmly handled it.

"I feel that this road will not take you to the chunin exams like you so desire." Aoi kept his voice neutral, and Ryo responded with another well aimed strike that ultimately missed.

A sneer came to Ryo's face. "What would a dog from the mist know? You'll just betray us in the end anyway, you've already done so once."

This caused a pause in Aoi's movements, and two hits found their mark on his shoulder and stomach before he backed up farther this time. Shin stepped forward, but the look in Aoi's eye gave him reason to pause. A pained look.

"I am not from the mist. Yes, my father may live there, but I know nothing of that village. Konoha is my home." He dodged again and air blew his hair to the side slightly. "If that is seen as a betrayal by you, then I have no right to argue nor you reason to forgive."

Ryo paused. "Damn right I don't have reason to forgive you."

"However, I will not live solely haunted by my past. I can not change it, so I will live trying to smile." A crowd had gathered at this point, and curious faces pondered what might have happened to cause this brawl in the middle of the street.

"I loved her!"

Ryo launched another palm toward Aoi, aimed straight for the heart. There was the solid smack as the hand made contact, and the crowd gasped. Shin started forward to beat Ryo to a pulp. Then shock rippled through the onlookers as Ryo was flipped in the air and landed with a thud on his back in the middle of the dirt road.

Aoi, who had caught Ryo's hand mere centimeters from his chest, had executed a near perfect throw and now placed one foot on Ryo's chest. He spoke quietly, in such a tone that pain was clear in his voice.

"You think I didn't love her Ryo? Do you really think, that I tried nothing to save her?" His voice became a whisper, as he leaned down and spoke words only Ryo could hear. "I watched her, blood spilling onto the snow, warmth leaving her body. She spoke to me, told me to remember the happiness she gave me, taught me. Do you really believe me to be so unfeeling to not know that life is precious? I may kill, but that does not mean that I do not now regret every time I have done so."

Ryo stared into Aoi's eyes, seeing the sincerity and anguish there. He said nothing, speechless as the one person he had to blame for Kaori's death explained that he felt as bad as Ryo, if not worse. The pinned boy, unable to refute Aoi's words, found tears springing unbidden to his eyes.

Aoi removed his foot, his face once again gaining the impassive look that was so well known. "I think we're done here now Ryo. I'll see you again after we return from the exams. Though forgiveness is not expected, it would be nice to talk to you. Perhaps without arguing this time."

As Aoi strode down the street away from the boy, Shin hurried to follow. The father put his hand on his son's shoulder, ignoring the slight shudder of a shakily inhaled breath.

Three days later, Aoi, Shin, and team 13 strode out of the gates of Konoha. They traveled to the east, together for now, but eventually to their own destinations.

_+_

Hey guys, I hope you might like the chapter. Sorry it's a little late.

RQ: If you could turn back time without affecting the present, what would be the first thing you would do and why?

Bye for now I guess.

-Nicky~