16-Breaking Through

A beeping. That was the only noise that filled the room, despite there being six people in the room. Granted one was unconscious. Aoi had been in the hospital room for three days, and so far had shown no signs of improvement. It seems the woman had been extrememly advanced in manipulating her mind and forcing her will onto people. She had tortured Aoi continuously for over four hours, until his mind no longer had control over his body and his hand had fallen away to break the connection.

The only ones who knew of Aoi's current condition were Ibiki, Inoichi, the Hokage, a handful of anbu, and team seven. Sakura stopped in daily, just to see how Aoi was faring, but always left disappointed. Five anbu stood constant guard over Aoi, just in case Orochimaru were to find out and try to make a move.

For the first day, several different people tried to help Aoi, but he seemed locked in his mind. Inoichi himself had tried to dive in and pull the boy from his comatose state. At the end of the day, the medical ninja's had told everyone that he would simply have to find a way out himself. Now, at midnight of the third day, that was just what was happening.

One of the anbu, who was watching Aoi intensely, almost believed it was her imagination when Aoi's finger twitched slightly. The movement was small, and she soon convinced herself she had imagined it when there was nothing else.

"Michi, you're supposed to be watching outside the room, not the patient." One of the anbu commented, rousing the girl from her stare.

"I know, it's just a little sad." She was turning to the window when she saw a movement again. Just the slightest feathering twitch of Aoi's fingers.

"Michi yo-" Michi held up a finger, and the man stopped. She pointed down at Aoi.

"I think he might be waking up!" Everyone turned to face the boy who lay still on the bed.

When nothing happened, a man walked over and placed a hand on Michi's shoulder. "Listen, Michi, I know that you're close with the kid. You rescued him from what I've heard, but things happen. If you can't focus I'm going to have to-" The man was cut off by another member of his squad though.

"He moved! It was just his fingers, but he did move." He turned to his captain. "What should we do?"

"Go get the nurse, then depending on what's happening we will inform the Hokage." The man nodded, disappearing from sight. Moments later, he returned, a bleary eyed nurse in tow.

She yawned slightly before speaking. "You say that the patient moved?" The anbu, all having seen some slight movement by now, all nodded. The nurse walked over and placed a glowing green hand on Aoi's forehead. "Let me see..." She mumbled slightly. There was a tense silence as all eyes were on the two in the center of the room.

The nurse removed her hand and Michi was practically shaking her once she had. "What's happening? Is he getting better? Will he be alright?" The nurse held up her hands in surrender at the frantic anbu.

"He's much closer to the edge of his mind now. If it keeps going at the pace it is, he should be waking up sometime in the morning." Michi backed off, sighing in relief. "I think that he can hear you now, as well as feel things when they touch him. Talking to him might be a good thing, it might help lead him out."

"Coma patients can't hear, can they?" One of the anbu said, a dubious tone layering his words.

The nurse nodded. "Most believe they can't yes. Aoi here isn't a normal case however, he's more trapped than anything. Now that he's trying to get out, it's possible that he has some sense of what's happening around him." The nurse touched his forehead again. "He's making steady progress, he'll be fine."