~~~

A few years had passed since that tragic night

A few years had passed since that tragic night. Remus survived the attack but he often wished that he didn't for he had to live his life as a werewolf. Every month, on a full moon, he would go through the painful transition to this creature.

Estella would sit at the wall which separated their room on full moons, and that was exactly what she was doing one spring night. The wall was thin so she knew that he could hear her if she spoke loud enough. So she did just that, hoping it would distract him somehow.

She would stay there all night, usually reading him a book through the wall. Occasionally, she would pause to let out a deep breath as she listened to her brother scratching the floor and howling in pain.

She would often find herself falling asleep at this wall and her mother would carry her into her bed in the morning.

However, she woke up the next morning still on the floor by the wall. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she sat up. Estella then got up and headed down the stairs, sighing at the sight of her brother's closed door.

She walked down to the kitchen where her mother was making breakfast. "Is Remus okay?" She asked her mother. Hope nodded in reply to her daughter. "He just needs rest."

Estella sat down at the dining table and watched as her mother made breakfast for Remus. On the tray was a plate of buttered toast and orange juice.

"Can I bring him his breakfast?" Estella asked. "Of course, but don't disturb him too much." Her mother replied before she jumped up and carried the tray up the stairs.

She twisted the door handle before pushing it open with her foot. At the sound of the door opening, Remus sat up and looked over at his sister. "Morning." She said with a grin as she placed the tray on his lap. "Morning." He replied, his voice weak and raspy.

He looked exhausted. Under his eyes were dark bags which stood out against his pale face. Across his face were deep scratches which were fresh and bright red.

She carefully sat at the end of his bed when their mother came up the stairs. She peered into the room to see her daughter sitting on his bed. "Estella, leave him to rest." She told her.

"It's okay," Remus replied before giving his mum a weak smile. Hope sighed before nodding and walking down to her room.

Estella then looked around the boy's bedroom. The dent in the wall was still there from that night and it send shivers down her spine. She took in a short inhale when she saw the spot where she sat during full moons was scratched so much that he was beginning to dig through it.

"I'll let you eat in peace." She said before flashing a quick smile at him and leaving his room. She closed the door to her room and sat on her bed, holding onto her favourite teddy bear.

She sniffed up as her eyes went red. Estella tried to stop herself from crying but she failed and began to quietly cry into the teddy.  "Sorry." She apologised to the teddy ad she wiped her eyes.

"I can't help it. I should have been the one who was attacked." She explained. "I'm the one who misbehaves. Remus is the good one, and I'm the bad one." Estella continued, her voice weary and weak.

Then, from the corner of her eye, she noticed her calendar which was pinned on her wall. She moved closer to it and flicked to the next month, grabbing a pencil and marking the next full moon.

-☾~☽-

For the next month, she waited for the full moon to shine brightly in the dark sky. Finally, that night came again.

Estella lay in her bed, her covers pulled up to her chin. Hope walked into her room with a warm smile. "Good night darling." She whispered as she kissed her forehead and left her room.

But Estella didn't go to sleep. Instead, she lay awake, waiting for them to fall asleep. She could hear the scratches of her brother in the next room so she covered her ears to block them out.

Once she heard her father's loud snores, she threw her blanket off of her and snuck out of her bed and into the hallway.

Estella crept over to Remus' bedroom, her hand out to open the door but she paused. She let out a final sigh before turning the key in the lock and pushing the door open.

Her dark eyes instantly fell upon Remus' who quickly looked up and stared at her with his bright yellow eyes.

She jumped when he quickly ran at her, her face scrunched uptightly. However, she let out a scream when she felt him scratch her skin which began to sting.

Her eyes were full of tears so she did not see her parents burst out of their room. "Stupefy!" Lyall shouted with his hand pointed at his son.

Remus flew back into his room, hitting the wall which made the cottage shake.
He then slammed the door and locked the door again. "Lyall! That's your son!" Hope shouted at her husband.

"And do you want him to be our only child!" Lyall shouted back. He then turned to his daughter who was sobbing on the floor.

"What we're you thinking? You stupid girl!" Her father asked her with a hiss. "I-I-" She stuttered for a reply. "Well? Speak girl." He ordered harshly.

"Lyall! Leave her!" Hope shouted as she pulled her husband away and knelt down beside her daughter. "I'll be very careful." She whispered before picking up her daughter, cringing at her daughter's hiss of pain.

"I'm sorry darling." She apologised as she carried her down the stairs and onto the couch.

Hope knelt down on the floor as she pressed a damp cloth against the scratches that littered her freckled skin. They did not look deep enough to scar apart from one which stretched from her eyebrows to her eye.

She then began to scan her for bites and let out a sigh of relief when she didn't see one. "Do you know how dangerous that was?" Hope asked her crying daughter.

She nodded in reply. "Why did you do it?" She then asked. "I deserved it. It is all my fault." Estella replied. Hope paused, taken back by her child's words.

"It wasn't your fault. It was that horrible man's fault." Hope reassured her. "No, I saw his eyes. I should have told you but I thought it was nothing." Estella replied.

Hope sighed before carefully lifting up her chin so she could look into her eyes. "It's not. You did nothing wrong."

Estella then threw herself forward, wrapping her arm around her mother and crying into her shoulder. Although her scars stung, she pushed through them and continued to hug her mum tightly.