Chapter 53 - Mystic Falls

-Beth-

I screech to a halt in a parking spot in the hospital parking lot and shut off the engine. I practically bolted inside to where Stefan was and shoved him up against the wall.

"You have 30 second to explain why you didn't call sooner. Go." I glowered at him.

"You Mom made me promise." he wheezed and I let him go. He cleared his throat. "That suffice?"

"Where is she Stefan?" I question and he points to the room down the hall. Caroline was there with her.

"Mom." they both turned to me and Mom gave me a weak smile "Mom." I sped over to her bedside and looked over her.

"Beth." she smiled weekly. My gaze fell on my sister.

"You, you little...."

"Bethany!" Mom called and I stopped talking "I told them not to tell you. You already had enough going on in New Orleans to be coming back and fussing over me, when there is nothing anyone can do." I pulled a chair and sat next to her taking her hand.

"You're my Mom and I love you. Of course I would drop everything. No matter what is going on." I kiss her hand holding it to my cheek.

"My girls, back together at last." she took Caroline's hand and gave them both a squeeze in happiness.

-----------

I sat in the cafeteria nursing coffee when Caroline sat herself down across from me. I sighed and leant back in my chair. She had her arms folded and was full of attitude

"Piss me off and I will slowly desiccate you and bury you where no one will ever find you." I drawl finally making eye contact with her.

"I'm not here to start a fight, Beth." she retorted

"Only family calls me that. It's Bethany to you. What do you want? What do I have to say or do, to be left alone in peace because I'm not in the mood" I took a sip of my coffee

"Mom said you were going through stuff, what stuff?" she questioned tilting her head. I am beginning to think that it's an inherited trait.

"Stuff called none of your Damn business. Also known as bite me bitch." I got up and went to return back to Mom.

"Come on give me 10 minute just 10, Bethany please. We both know that Mom wants us to talk." Her words make me stop and turn on my heal. Caroline take this opportunity to use vampire speed and whisk me away to the graveyard.

"Nice place to talk. Wow, I feel so in the mood to chat." I counter sarcastically "Oh just great now I have a huge coffee stain. I liked this top." I grumble setting the cup on fire

"I know when we last talked..."

"Just stop right there" I point at her "The last time we talked you told me that rather sticking by me, your own sister, come what may. You would chose your boyfriend. No wait then there was the whole Jeremy killed my best friend...then Nik and I bit you... oh no wait hang on..."

"I get it, the last few months before you left were bad." she cut me off mid thought.

"Bad? No, Bad Caroline is forgetting something at home. Bad is cutting me off mid sentence whenever the conversation isn't about you or Elena. The two of us, there's not even a word that covers it. This is so you Caroline, you try and down play what shouldn't be and exaggerate the little things like the world is ending.

I feel in love. Real, deep, world bending love. I found someone who would live for me, die for me, be everything nothing, every single cliche that could be thought of. I found my other half." She stood there

"Elijah is the other half of me, he is the light to my darkness and the darkness to my light. He keeps me grounded yet I feel like I'm on cloud nine. Not once since we met has he abandoned me. He keeps me together and heaven forbid I should fall apart, he picks up the pieces and glues them back into a whole person.

Elijah is all that, but you don't see that, no one apart from Mom in this Godforsaken town sees that. All they see is the horror stories and the whispers. They see the man trying to keep his family together, trying to keep faith in his brother as a monster. One that should be killed. In fact this goes for all the Originals. You guys spend so much time with your head up Elena's ass to see the real Mikaelson's." I rant at her, everything spilling out

"And who are the real Mikaelson's? Bethany." she folded her arms.

"Elijah, is the sensitive one. He has lost so much over a thousand years mainly due to Nik. But to him...the Niklaus he see's is the little brother scared of his father. He wants to bring that back, his good brother the brother that he grew up with, that he tried to protect. Elijah wants to protect his loved ones,yet something or someone gets in the way of that

Then Nik. Everything he has done since becoming a vampire is to protect himself. For him power is protection because growing up he didn't have enough of that. He didn't and every action, reaction is to save himself from pain and hurt. What he forgets to realise on so many occasions is that he being protected doesn't mean being alone.

Rebekah. Bekah has tried constantly to make the best out of a bad situation. One thing after another she loses. Her humanity, her parents, one by one her brothers, including Niklaus. The men she's loved and once been loved in return. The life that was robbed from her by her own mother. All of that is hidden under the front of being a sarcastic bitch who you kill you, should you cross her.

Then Kol. You know all he wanted was to be accepted? Elijah, Bekah and Nik were always a trio. Henrik was too you and Finn was a persistent asshole stuck to his mothers hip. He found solace in magic and it was ripped away. For centuries that's been the true meaning of his search and he admitted that the only place he ever found it, was with me.

All of them at one point or another got the rough end of the deal, when it turns into a pattern over a thousand years, you really expect the to be good? To be kind, helpful anything other than a survivor?" I breathed heavily as I explained to her what everyone failed to see.

"I see this, I see them and they see me. I am one of them, I was lost, broken, different. I needed my family, I needed you and Mom and Jeremy. For just one moment to be there for me, to see that I was this broken doll in need of fixing. You abandoned me over and over again for her. Elena Gilbert was always more important. Protecting her from who knows what because you the time to notice her broken pieces. And I get it. I do because at one point focusing on how someone else was broken and trying to fix them made me forget that i was just the same.

Then I turned into a vampire and all those broken pieces became heightened and more crashed to the floor. You were right there, right there Caroline. The night I came home after Jeremy cheated you were right there and you didn't notice. The heightened pitch in my voice the irregular undead heartbeat. Going to sleep at the boarding house? No when you and everyone else looked at me all you wanted to see was the girl getting friendly with the Original. As if it wasn't bad enough that you couldn't see the broken me.

You lot twisted your vision to make me someone not worth trusting."

"Bethany I am so sorry." I finally let up for her to speak "I didn't know."

"You didn't care!" I scream "No one cared, apart from them. How is it, the so called monsters can figure out what no one in years has bothered to even try?"