The general

On the northwest border, a solitary figure stands high above the military fortification, looking toward the southern mountainous ridges. The figure stands tall and straight, hands held tightly behind his back as his black cape flutters against the wind. As he tilts his head slightly, moonlight shines on his broad shoulders and illuminates his side profile. Sharp features, a chiseled jawline and high nose ridge with unusual deep set eyes stares into the distance.

How long has he stood there? Without moving a muscle, just watching and waiting for something or someone. As if time has stopped, the only thing moving around the man is his fluttering cape and strands of hair moved by the wind. There is a quiet that surrounds him, no guards within one hundred steps, no night birds or insects to disturb his thoughts.

"This subordinate reports.." a black clothed man silently appears from the darkness and kneels down before the man. The man nodded slightly, giving permission for the black clothed man to continue.

"This subordinate have placed our people on their side and they have now found evidence of their plans. If we don't do anything now, within six months, the whole village will be decimated." Pausing to observe the man's reaction, the man in black waited for a response.

Noting the ensuing silence, he took it as direction to continue the report. "This subordinate has found evidence of powerful backers, these people can be traced back to the palace and possibly to one of the highest ranked consorts...."

The shocking news was received in silence, as if it was expected. With a desire to impress his master, he continued, "if we are correct, then consort Yue is implicated and is in cahoots with the left Rites Minister, this is a serious matter that can threaten the throne." Finally, he exhausted the well kept intelligence and waited expectantly for his master's direction.

Still, the man in the black cloak held his stance, unmoved, staring at the mountains as if searching for something.

"Master, give this subordinate your directions, what shall we do next?" he anxiously said, unable to understand the thoughts behind the man's veiled eyes.

"Tell me about her..." was all the reply he got from his master. It was as if the previous news was insignificant compared to hearing about her. Every word was spoken sparingly, but his meaning is clear. He knew about everything else and only cared about the girl.

Surprised, but the kneeling man quickly understood his mistake. He was too excited about the court conspiracy and forgot about the important matter. His master only ever cared about news of the girl.

Since he became the youngest general of the empire's largest army at the age of sixteen, only two years ago, the first thing he did was to send two scouts to monitor the girl in secret. He expects monthly reports of the girl, details of her life, who she interacted with and sometimes pressing details of her conversations.

The general is a fearsome man, his young age belies his calculating cruelty and monstrous strength and abilities. Within two years, he eradicated enemy tribes without mercy, killing everyone in his path. His merits stacked higher than anyone ever thought possible. This man single-handedly took on and destroyed an enemy army of over ten thousand. Unbelievable as it sounds, through his might and tactics he was able to massacre the invading army.

His name strikes fear into the hearts of the ruling monarchs of enemy nations and possibly the current empire ruler as well. Ministers and generals alike both fear and respect him for his charisma and intelligence. In the presence of others, this general puts on a mask as he expertly manipulates his prey. For him, social interactions is a necessary evil. He excels in the art of politics but is repulsed by it.

Looking up at the profile of the man, who is still looking towards the mountains, he continued his report. "She continues her routine of walking to the tea plantation to help out. But two days ago, she accidentally walked past the magistrate's men while they were burying the items. They started to attack her but our scouts got rid of them pretty quickly. She must have fainted as she was running away."

At this point he stopped and looked up to see his master's reaction. The previously turned head moved slightly and a frown burrowed deeply into his forehead.

"Continue." The pressure surrounding him grew more ominous and the air seemed to thicken.

Swallowing, the kneeling man started to feel hot and sweat formed on his forehead despite the cold northern night wind.

"The scouts found her after half a day, once they disposed of the bodies. Unsure of what the should do, they moved her body to a comfortable spot under a tree and guarded her until someone came to the rescue. But she wasn't 'rescued' until dusk."

At this point he remembered how the previous magistrate and his whole family got slaughtered the night after her canning was reported to his master.

"She got carried back by Feng Yeran, our scouts reported that she had a fever for two days. The day she woke up, she cried for half an incense stick and it attracted the whole village."

Seeing his master's fists clenched tightly, fear started to creep into his heart. He has been trained as a skilled assassin within the secret imperial forces since he turned five. He has killed without battling an eyelid in the face of danger but yet is now trembling internally. With a little excitement and expectation he looks at his master for orders, certain that his men will be busy tonight.

"Change the useless scouts with two more able females. The magistrate and those involved is to be gone by morning." A simple command sealed the fate of over twenty people.

"Your subordinate obeys."

With that, the general is left to continue gazing at the stars and the black mountainous ridges.