Breaking through

Shu Mei looked at him expectantly and held her breath. In this moment of life and death, her mind is blank and her heart pounding. Bai Ye's handsome face and loving eyes is saying it all to her heart and without having to say a word she understands what he will do next.

She swallowed back her tears as she looked deep into his eyes and sighed. The time they have spent together has been too short and just when her hardened heart is starting to thaw, they will be parted.

"Stay alive," she whispered.

Bai Ye smiled and nodded. I will try he said silently in his heart. At that moment it was just two hearts speaking to each other without words but beating the same rhythm.

Then he leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on her forehead before turning around and ran the other direction at an unbelievably fast pace for someone without any internal powers leaving her lonely figure on the wall.

Shu Mei took in a deep breath and steadied herself. She pinched her thigh to remind herself that the lives of hundreds of people are now on her shoulders, she must help them break through this attack formation otherwise they will all be slaughtered by the Huang army. When she looked around again, she could see fires starting all around the compound. The piles of dead bodies have been lit up also causing the air to fill thick black smoke and the stench of burning flesh. Buildings and even trees have been lit up making this place truly feel like a burning hell.

Then she saw the disciples start to fly back towards her at rapid pace. Turning her attention to the army formation immediately in front of them, she could hear the army's horn rang out and the troops formation started to change. It seems that Bai Ye had started his distractions quite successfully, from her point of view the army must see him as a terrifying threat to suddenly divert over half of the troops towards his direction.

Shu Mei looked towards the direction that the troops are heading with concern. In her heart she desperately wanted Bai Ye to hold on until she could come to his aid, but there are tens of thousands of highly trained Huang army troops here.

Yu Li had set impossibly high standards of his men and everyone one of them here should have already earned their fearsome reputation over countless battles and sieges with enemy nations. They have a system whereby; newbies are all sent to the borders for training and can only return to join a battalion inside the Empire's regions when they have proven worth and received merit recognition.

The conditions in the borders are harsh, driving every soldier to excel and earn the opportunity to return to better living conditions. There they learned ruthlessness, fighting skills and loyalty before bringing it all back to the Empire. It has been said that closer the troops are to the Imperial City, the more loyal and powerful they are.

The Huang army is also referred to as the harbinger of death and destruction to the enemy, that is why people of the Empire both fear and love them. The many victories they have secured for the Empire is really no joke and has made her proud to learn about them but now that she is on the opposite side facing them, Shu Mei wished that they are less excellent. The only saving grace she could see is that they are a far way from the Imperial City so these shouldn't be the elite troops.

Shu Mei turned her attention at the crowd of sect disciples standing below and saw that about two thirds have returned. Beads of sweat started to form on her forehead as she nervously counted the time and debated when is the best time to go. The pressure is on her to find the sweet spot, there needs to be enough time for the departing troops to not realise that they are breaking through but fast enough before they come back after they kill... or capture Bai Ye.

She nervously bit her lips and clenched her fists as she counted the number of troops remaining as well as the disciples that have returned. The enormous pressure on her single decision makes her nauseous but the adrenalin coursing through her body is exhilarating. 

Then she heard another blow of the horn and recognised the message. More troops are called towards the north eastern gates. Her heart raised in hope, it seems like Bai Ye is creating much trouble for the troops and that he is still alive.

She scanned the troops in front of her and the disciples behind her, it looks like they are evenly matched now, and it is time to go. She raised her arms and signalled for attention.

"Everyone, the supreme leader is out there fighting for our lives. You must not waste this only opportunity. Scale these walls, kill these troops, and flee for your lives and the longevity of your Zuyi sect. This is life and death, you must succeed, hear me? When you escape, go back to your homes, and hide away from the sect and the empire for a few months and watch the events unfold. The supreme leader knows that there is a mole working for the government and if you return, you will die. So, escape and stay low. Understood?" she shouted.

The disciples looked around shocked, but they immediately understood her words and shouted in acquiesce.

"Good, now on the count of three. One....two...three...go!" she shouted as she pointed forwards and flew down the walls herself.

The troops marching towards them were taken by surprise at the horde of people rushing towards them and fighting their way down. Shu Mei kept fighting and running and killing at every turn. Her flexible sword that is always wrapped around her body has drawn so much blood.

In a frenzy she killed. Her slender figure flew through the air like a fairy captivated some of the troops but her graceful movements are deadly.

In autopilot she became a deadly killer, slicing men's throats with fluid movements. Because her sword is long and flexible, she was able to kill at an advantageous distance. Her light touch belies its deadliness as it sliced and stabbed with every move. As if dancing in air through the fairy of death sliced under armour through skin and flesh. She aimed at major arteries for instant kills. Where her sword touched blood sprayed and men fell.

Suddenly, it became too easy and within a few moments the troops have been completely slaughtered leaving them stunned in silence.

Shu Mei looked around frantically, her eyes full of bloodlust and adrenalin racing through her veins. This is her chance to go back to save Bai Ye!

"Go! Go now, I will go find your leader," she shouted.

Most of the men nodded and ran for their lives leaving a handful of brave ones remaining. Shu Mei looked at them in anger.

"We will follow you to find the supreme leader," one said bravely, her face and body also covered in blood.

Shu Mei nodded, there is no time to waste, she hopes that Bai Ye is holding on.

So, they flew in haste towards the North Eastern side where most of the troops surrounded Bai Ye and a handful of loyal disciples as they fight for their lives.

As they got closer Shu Mei could see the troops drawing tight formation locking in the Zuyi people. Bai Ye's formidable reputation is no joke as Shu Mei sees dead bodies littered around him. With just his sword and pure might Bai Ye have been able to hold down the whole Huang army until now.

His white clothes are now bright red from the amount of blood that has been spilt and his eyes are animalistic with the desire to hunt and kill. Shu Mei watched him in admiration as he chops off people's heads in fluid motions while defending against the onslaught of arrows. There is no fear in his face, just arrogance.