Imperial Noble Consort Rui

"Shu Mei, a simple name that this reflective of your physical beauty. You don't look like a vicious and jealous woman, now, be honest with me and maybe I can help you. Tell me, where are your parents and family? Why are you involved with General Huang and accused of murdering his concubines," said the Imperial Noble Consort Rui calmly, her eyes never leaving Shu Mei's face and alert to every reaction.

Shu Mei tried to pull her own gaze away from the Imperial Noble Consort but there was just something so magnetic about the woman that she could resist leaving her lingering glances. The Consort did not seem to mind and gave her an encouraging smile that was so gentle and so radiant that it blew Shu Mei away. She tried to pull herself together but felt tongue-tied in front for the elegant woman and blushed a crimson red.

The Consort saw that Shu Mei was blushing a pretty colour and fixed her gaze on the ground like a child hiding her shyness, so cute and endearing that she could not resist letting out a chuckle. Shu Mei never heard such a beautiful laugh before. The clear ringing sounds made her heart fill with warmth as if the sun's rays lit it up with every note. She nodded her head, this is the quality of the imperial women, no wonder, this Imperial Noble Consort deserves to be the second most revered and powerful woman in the empire.

"Replying to the Imperial Noble Consort, truthfully, I am unsure of the charges or evidence against me. I do not have a romantic relationship with General Huang and only work as his personal aide. We have just returned from the Northwest frontier a little over two weeks ago. The only time that I saw the four concubines was when we arrived at the Huang Manor and from then, I have not seen or heard from them. Even then it was very brief, and we barely said ten words to each other in total. Please judge this humble one justly, I have no motive or cause to kill them. My parents have died, and I live with my grandmother, adoptive uncle, and his family. They have businesses in Hangzhou and quite successful merchants who live humbly without any conflicts with other people."

"The deceased women's bodies floated on the river after four days from the day you arrived at Hangzhou. The stab wounds and injuries are consistent with the Huang General's martial arts technique and a thin blade. I have been presented with evidence that you carry a sword that matches that type of cuts and practice the same martial moves as the Huang General. There are also written testimonies from the head steward and maids of your conflict with one of the deceased and animosity against the others," said the Consort with piercing eyes.

"The martial moves were learnt from my time training in the secret service unit and the sword wounds could be from similar weapons. I have no motive, I don't know them, and I don't covet a position in the Huang General's harem, why would I kill them?" said Shu Mei looking straight at the Consort without fear or trepidation.

"That is just your words against the evidence stacked against you. Why are you involved with Huang Yu Li?" asked the Consort with a long sigh.

"I don't know why, he just found me and refused to let me go," said Shu Mei honestly.

"What do you mean by that?" asked the Consort.

"When I arrived at Hangzhou, our family stayed at a reputable inn, but I found myself drugged and sold in the slave trade. Eventually, I got sold to the Song Manor to be a servant for the Old Madame Song. I had planned to use my family's gold to buy my freedom, but General Huang came in and snatched me away from the Song Manor. He took me to the Northwest border and trained me in the secret service unit ever since. I have only been able to return recently because he said that he had work to do in Hangzhou. He keeps saying odd things like we are meant to be together and that I am his woman, but I swear on my parents' graves that I do not have any feelings for that man!" said Shu Mei angrily.