Huang family secret

"I am very pleased, and I know that your grandfather in heaven is smiling down on us at this moment. When your grandfather lost his life in the fierce battle over twenty-five years ago, it was the end of our family's ability to contribute to the Murong clan's ambitions. You know, I was desperate and lost when they bought back his lifeless body. All those years afterwards, I couldn't even give in to my feelings because of this family. I was forced to pick myself up, maintain this merchant cover and hide us from the enemies of the Murong clan, but each day was living hell and there was nothing I could do about your henpecked father. I had thought that we would live like that forever, but the heavens gave you to me, your genius and talent have revived our ambitions and now the clan is as strong as ever!" said Old Madame Huang with relish and beaming with pride.

Yu Li thought to himself, if it wasn't for those dreams that had prewarned him of the events to come, he might have decided to take the easier path to destruction. In his dreams, he continued to live the decadent lifestyle that his father set as an example. Even when his grandmother had tried to instruct him, Yu Li had thought, that their enemies wouldn't attack a family of wastrels and they would be safe. His grandmother had been disappointed and grew more despondent as the years went by.

When their enemies had managed to encircle the family in their schemes, the whole three generations were lined up for execution. As the matriarch of the family Old Madame Huang was made to see every member be executed before having her head chopped off. She had manically laughed at the heavens before her execution.

At that moment, Yu Li had just been rescued by Song Wei Li prior and was hiding with Shu Mei in the tunnel below the execution platform. He had felt his heart pierced by a thousand needles every time his grandmother's laughter rang out and then the deadly silence after the executioner swung his sword. It was as if time stopped for a single breath, before her head landed on the wooden platform with a 'thud' and blood seeped through the cracks. Seeing the blood, the heavily injured Yu Li immediately fainted into Shu Mei's arms.

The Huang family execution was one of the first dreams he remembered having, haunting the little child every night. Yu Li could still vividly recall the fear he felt as he woke up in cold sweat every morning. The trauma of death sparked a rebellious and stubborn determination to change his fate. He spent every waking moment training and honing his martial arts. Not neglecting any education that would be useful for his pursuit of power, Yu Li became an incomparable learning machine, the four arts, strategy, and martial arts, consumed him entirely.

When his grandmother realised that Yu Li was different from his father, hope was alighted in her heart. She poured all the family's resources and connections to help Yu Li become the man he is today. With talent, drive, financial and political backing, Yu Li was able to step on other people's heads to become the empire's most feared and unrivalled general.

But this is not enough, the Murong clan's ambitions run much deeper, they want to change the world and permanently alter the current status quo. Taking over military power of the empire was just the first step he needed to use as a platform to subjugate the 'free' people of Wulin under their command. Yu Li was very close to being able to achieve something that his grandfather had died trying to until Zu Bai Ye returned from the 'dead'.

Twenty-five years ago, Bai Ye who at the age of fifteen had already became a recognised outstanding talent and charismatic youth in Wulin. Many leaders of Wulin at that time had advocated for him and followed him as he led a resistance group of youths against the suppression of Wulin by the powerful Murong clan. It was said that the sect leader of Zuyi, was nearly forced to abdicate and hand over its leadership to Bai Ye. His named was feared widely and he became the primary target of the Murong clan.

Yu Li didn't exist at that time and only heard from his grandmother about the battle. It was said that Bai Ye's had singlehandedly dismantled the Murong scheme and his unrivalled power had decimated the tens of thousands of men sent to fight him and his group in a life and death battle.