Falling into the trap

"I am glad to hear that, a very wise decision indeed," said Shu Mei as she nodded in approval while fanning herself to hide her disgust at the greedy man.

"Indeed, so the partnership that you are referring to?" asked Chen Ke earnestly.

"Have you ever wondered how Tang Long can hold a monopoly on acquiring and selling precious artefacts?" asked Shu Mei.

Chen Ke shook his head as he didn't want to mention the sect's fearsome reputation for being the most violent and brutal of all sects in jianghu.

"The Tang Long sect has been very successful because we have networks all over the empire and can easily locate, track, buy or steal artefacts. Basically, we get what we want by any means. On the other hand, we also have a monopoly on most prestigious auction houses in the empire and have connections with people with deep pockets. This means that the goods we sell are always going to be at the highest prices. Now, these suppliers are well compensated on a retainer fee and a bonus commission once an item sells. We are not stingy to our partners. Do you see where I am getting at?" asked Shu Mei while eyeing Chen Ke's expression carefully.

Chen Ke nodded, already calculating in his mind what profits he will make out of the partnership. The ongoing retainer might be tempting but the biggest win would be the bonus commission.

"Judging by your luxurious villa, Magistrate Chen must be a man who is well connected and have a means to make good money. I mean, a magistrate's salary alone, cannot possibly sustain your lifestyle, I have done a little digging and understand that you have an ingenious side business," said Shu Mei in a matter of fact tone.

"I see, you planned it from the beginning. Entrapping Ma Bu and getting to me, it must be you are after my source. Very clever Shu Mei," said Chen Ke with narrowed eyes and suspicion written all over his face.

Shu Mei was taken by surprise at his words, as, in truth this plan only occurred to her this morning and she had no idea that Ma Bu was involved in the grave robbery business. All the members of secret forces are equipped with the fake seals of the top ten sects in Wulin in case they needed to invoke a fake identity. She had decided to test Chen Ke's greed and see if he would accidently let slip any details. At this point she is grateful she decided to carry a fan around to conveniently hide her surprise and avoid blowing her cover.

"Of course, the intelligence of Tang Long runs deep," said Shu Mei.

"If you want us to supply the precious artefacts then offending Ma Bu is counterproductive, don't you think? Without him and the information that his men provides, we won't know who has the treasures and who we can target. Killing them is easy, but we never kill a dud, it will be a waste of effort," said Chen Ke casually as if discussing the weather.

"You need him to guarantee the information? Surely, Magistrate, I know you are more resourceful than that," said Shu Mei.

"No, of course I have other sources of information. But only he has the poison that makes it look like a natural death. That is why I have my men ensure that these guests only stay at that hostel. Once they enter, they cannot leave."

"Well, I am disappointed, I should offer the partnership with Ma Bu instead," said Shu Mei pretending to stand up and leave.

"No, stay, I have not finished. Ma Bu is essential to the operation, but he alone cannot make it work. I lead it and my supply chain do the 'doing', understand? All agreements must be made with me only," said Chen Ke as he reached out to get her to stay.

"Are you saying that I need to compensate Ma Bu as well? I do not do business on a lost and to be frank, I cannot stand that guy," said Shu Mei with an angry huff.

"No, I can deal with him. That is not something you need to worry about. I have other hostels and means," said Chen Ke while stroking his goatee.

"In order for Tang Long to enter in partnership, you must be able to guarantee a continuous supply of goods. At least four artefacts of value a year, we do not have a habit of losing money in our investments, Magistrate Chen, I hope you understand that principle," said Shu Mei.

"Of course, all the other hostels and restaurants in this region is in my control. Once the target steps in my region, they have no hope of getting out. I just need time to extract the secret formula from Ma Bu before I get rid of him. He is old and senile now," said Chen Ke, continuing to stroke his goatee.

"You also need to guarantee that the goods extraction processes are discrete, our clients are all reputable people and cannot be linked to criminal activity," said Shu Mei.

"Of course, how will dead people report thief? Young master, Lu Bai, trust me, my system is intricate and solid. You just need to ensure I get the retainer fee and commission, let me handle the rest in this region," boasted Chen Ke.

Shu Mei nodded, this conversation had confirmed her initial suspicions, this is her lucky day, the information just fell onto her lap without much effort.

"From time to time, we track a family heirloom and if an important person passes into your region my people will notify you. Will you guarantee that the heirloom will be buried with that person?" asked Shu Mei.

"Of course, I have very charismatic and clever people who will work on the family of the deceased, depending on their type of superstition and make sure that the artefact will be buried with the dead, otherwise calamities will befall them. It is not inconceivable that I can make trouble for them even if they are in other states in the empire. If the body is buried here, I can guarantee the artefact will fall into your hands," said Chen Ke confidently.

"Magistrate Chen, you have thought through the details!" said Shu Mei as she fanned herself to hide her mocking smile.

"This is the case, how else would I have amassed so much wealth in my tenure as magistrate? I trust our partnership would be successful. Is there a contract or something we should sign?" asked Chen Ke.

"Of course, I will have my people prepare them and I will return with them tomorrow. But first, we should sort out the case?" asked Shu Mei.

"Yes, yes, of course, I'll ensure you are satisfied," said Chen Ke as he humbly bowed and gestured for Shu Mei to leave the room.

Shu Mei walked back into the courtroom calmly with a gentle smirk on her face and fanning herself lightly while Chen Ke strutted back like a peacock, showing his glee and successful negotiation. 

When he got back into his seat, he slammed the wooden block hard on the table before roaring, "Ma Bu, you have certainly deceived this magistrate. Do you admit your crime?"