Operation discard

Yu Li smiled at my words and nodded his head, looking quite pleased with himself. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at his self-satisfied smile.

"That is a promise then. As you wish, I will allow them to marry and Lin Xi can choose to stay working with the unit or retire to become Feng Yeran's wife. Are you happy now?" he asked.

"No, there is another thing," I said, taking advantage of his good mood.

"Oh? Do say, anything you wish," he replied with his lips tilted upwards.

"Also, free Lin An to marry whomever she wishes," I said.

"Of course," he replied.

"And, you must promise never to harm my family," I said, observing his face closely.

"Why would I harm my in-laws, I would always continue to support them," he said easily.

"They are not your in-laws. One last thing, I warn you now, if you dare lay a hand on me or force me in anyway, I will kill myself. Death is but a release for me, do you understand?" I said coldly.

Yu Li's face turned cold and he clenched his jaws for a moment, giving off a terrifying and deadly aura. But I am not scared of him anymore, I have died and have seen so much death and bloodshed that he just comes across as a sulking teenager.

"I will never force you. Shu Mei, your position in my heart, is so high, so high, you understand? When my goals are achieved, I will marry you as my only wife, with a carriage carried by sixteen people and the streets lined with red cloth, your wedding dowry will be cities and you will be the envy of all women in this empire. You deserve no less than that, so why would I force you? Just stay by my side and the day will come when the two of us will step on everyone else with power and wealth. But if you dare harm yourself, I swear to god, your family and everyone involved with you and your death will suffer painfully. And I, will follow you into the afterlife and will cling to you for eternity. You will never be able to get rid of me," he said.

Throughout his monologue, Yu Li's normally cold emotionless face became animated and terrifying, especially at the end when he stepped closer to me again, stared straight into my eyes and said that I will never be able to get rid of him.

At that moment, my cold façade cracked, and I became so terrified that I struggled to hold back my tears. The prospect of his vengeful ghost hanging onto to me for eternity is scary to say the least but more than that it killed any hope of my escape. I really believed him and felt that death is no longer a release when he is still going to be clinging on to me.

He started to frown and ran one hand down my back, resting it on my waist and raised the other to lightly wipe away my tears that had been brimming in my eyes and dropped when I blinked. I hated myself for showing my weakness, but his words had hit my deepest fear. We are standing so close to each other in an ambiguous position, but I feel nothing but self-loathing and fear. I hate myself for falling into this situation.

"General Huang, then do as you say, move back and don't come near me. You force this inappropriate closeness between a man and a woman, this is an example of you forcing me. Even if you do follow me to the afterlife, at least then you will have to contend with all the dead family and friends that I have who will back me. Who knows, maybe even the gods are on my side and you will become a nobody in death," I said.

He forced a smile and then stepped backwards, resuming his previous position of having his hands behind his back looking at me with a nonchalant attitude.

"I admit that I am not good with words and sometimes I go overboard. I have never really interacted with a girl that I like apart from you, the other women have always been my subordinates or business partners. Shu Mei, please give me time, with you, I just want to be a normal man, not a general, not a terrifying and oppressive leader, but a man. I know this is too much and I am trying to learn. Teach me and give me time," he said.

I laughed mockingly before I saw his eyebrows twist in a frown and a tinge of sadness flickering in his eyes.

Then it hit me, Yu Li had always been a stubborn man and competitive man, in this life and the last. Once there is a challenge, this side of him comes roaring to life. But in the last life, he got bored straight after each challenge, take for example he used to throw his money at brothels to fight with other equally useless rich masters for the leading flower at that time. But after a night of pleasure, he wouldn't give her a second look.

Maybe, this situation is the same? He felt challenged by Bai Ye and my resentment towards him, so he became possessive. But what if I just give him what he wants and then he will get bored with me when something else new comes along. Then I can take a page from Wu Miao's book and force him to discard me. It is a cowardly way to escape, but that would bring the least harm to everyone.

It would only harm me, but it is not like I haven't slept with him before, so what difference does that make? After spending ten years serving him, I know exactly what he likes and dislikes. If I become the woman that he dislikes, then that would only accelerate his boredom.

I bit my lips, now I have two choices, one to plan my escape and possibly die in a heroic way, dragging my family along to hell with me or choose to frustrate and bore him with the hope that he discards me soon. My mind is racing, maybe there is a third option, such as find an equally powerful person to oppose him and back me.

At that moment, my heart sunk, and I fought hard not to be overwhelmed with tears again. Pull yourself together Shu Mei, he is gone, you saw his arm fly in the air and the blood that sprayed from his sliced stomach as he fell to the ground. The memories that resurfaced made my hands shake as I looked at Yu Li in anger, I hate that I am not powerful enough to return each blade that he inflicted on Bai Ye back to him.

"Don't think too much, General Huang, we are but strangers in this world. But if you promise me power and wealth, then you better achieve it because these are the things I like," I said after taking a deep breath, finally deciding on the second plan.

I will transform into a greedy, flirtatious, and power-hungry woman, a type that he detests. He had kept the old me by his side because I was quiet, obedient, and endured suffering without compliant. I was his safety buoy, comforting and easy. I had never made trouble for him and tried to be perfect combination of beauty, talent and followed the four virtues of a woman to the letter.

But that is all going to change, in this life, I will be the opposite, unreasonable, greedy and a troublemaker. Let me see how long he could tolerate someone like this. I want him to beg me to get out of his life forever.

"Let me walk you to your room, you should get some sleep before we return home tomorrow," he said gently.

"Fine, will you leave some gold for Uncle Feng to pay for his hospitality? Lin Xi will also need a big dowry," I said casually as we walked back side by side.

"I will have them send it first thing in the morning," he replied with a smile.

"Their living conditions is quite poor, the space here is elegant but tight," I said.

"I have a more suitable residence in a better part of the city, tomorrow I will give them the land deeds and they can move there," he said.

I sighed, now I am more determined to find his bottom line and press it. The more I press it and the more annoying I get, it will just accelerate his boredom. I call it Operation Discard.

"My grandma is old and weak, she needs more attention," I said.

"I agree, there is not enough people to wait on her, I'll have them send more highly trained people over to help them move and care for her," he said with a smile.

Endure, endure, let's see how long you can endure for!