Because we are fated

"Her beauty wasn't the problem, just like as a beautiful peony that wants to bloom and spread its fragrance to brighten the world, the flower wasn't a problem. It is the evil hearts of people that wants to possess, use, and trample on the peony, changing it and making its original nature unrecognisable. That is the true source of the problem," sighed Shu Mei sadly.

"I disagree. Sure, she lived in circumstances that were challenging, dealing with sick and heartless people. But she willingly took the dark path and started to change her heart to scheme and entrap other people to get out of her situation. To help herself, she was willing to harm others. That is not innocence, that is a person who have fallen into the mire. Today was a wakeup call for her and the scar on her face is going to be a constant reminder to not fall again," said Bai Ye.

Shu Mei nodded, she could see that Bai Ye's words made sense of the reality of the world and she agreed with it wholeheartedly, but it is difficult to not feel sympathetic to the young woman who had suffered and repented.

"Let's not talk about unnecessary people anymore. What is your current plan?" asked Bai Ye.

"My plan? Hmm...my plan is not to deal with unnecessary people. You just reminded me, Bai Ye, we should part ways here, I am sure, the highly esteem Wulin leader would have matters he has to attend to. I have my own business here for the time being," said Shu Mei.

Bai Ye crutched his heart and pretended to topple over in pain, conveniently putting his arm over her shoulders and refused to budge.

"Such heartless words, Lu Bai, my heart just twisted in pain hearing that you say that. I tell you this and make sure you never forget these words. You and I are fated to be together, where you go, I will be there. Do not think about shaking me off," said Bai Ye with a wide smile on his face.

"Fine, do as you wish. I don't have time to argue with you. I will be looking for another inn to stay in temporarily, goodbye," said Shu Mei as she elbowed his ribs again to free herself and strutted off towards the eastern gates while fanning herself attractively.

Bai Ye rubbed his side and smiled freely, shaking his head he followed behind her closely, before cheekily caught her shoulders in his arm again.

"Wait up, I have a villa here, why don't you save some money and stay with me as a guest. It would be more convenient for you to do whatever scheme you have in mind," said Bai Ye.

"Oh, then why did you stay at the hostel last night? Actually, never mind, forget I asked," she said while shaking her head.

"Because we were fated to meet again, and you had to take responsibility for me. So, where you are, I will be," said Bai Ye shamelessly.

Shu Mei's face redden into an attractive blush making Bai Ye chuckle with glee.

"Come this way, my villa is not in the town but nestled in the valley just outside the city gates. I promise you that the scenery is very beautiful, and you would find living there very comfortable."

Despite resisting with all her might, he was too strong and held her securely until she gave up and just followed his lead. Once they left the city gates Bai Ye lowered his arm and held onto her waist. With a big jump he carried her off the ground and flew through the sky, only occasionally landing at a tree branch to propel him forwards.

Shu Mei was amazed at his strength and abilities, the way he glided through the air without minimal contact with stationary objects meant that his abilities must be significantly higher than hers. While she can fly fast, but she needed to constantly bounce off a stationary force to propel herself forward.

Bai Ye's powers are just on another level and it clear that the force came from within himself and not externally. Too bad that he is too clingy, otherwise she wouldn't mind asking him to teach her some moves. She doesn't want to owe him anything so that when she makes her escape, he has no leverage over her.

"Bai Ye, level with me. Were you waiting for me where we first met? Do you already know who I am?" asked Shu Mei.

Bai Ye chuckled and said, "I love that you are speak so frankly. Yes, I have been looking for you for nearly five years, but that man hid you too well so I couldn't get to you. He kept sending people to make trouble for me, but I still managed to get past all obstacles because I have hope that I will see you again."

Shu Mei was shocked that he answered so truthfully.

"Why? I don't think we have met," asked Shu Mei.

"Because we are fated. Shu Mei, you will know all later, when your heart is ready to accept me. I will use time to show you my sincerity and you will love me," he said sweetly.

Shu Mei's heart pounded in her chest at his words and for a moment she was lost for words. She could tell from his tone and the vibrations of his heart against her shoulders that he is also nervous as well. She racked her brains and yet could not remember where he was from or what made him feel this way about her.

"Why are you so sure that I will accept you?" she asked.

"Because that is the only hope I have in this life. I will not and cannot survive without that hope. So, I am left with no choice but to give my all to convince you to fall in love with me. I am in too deep," he said with a lot of emotion in his voice.

Shu Mei sighed, what he has said is impossible. From her experience, men love a challenge and once they obtain the prize, they will abandon it without a second thought. Bai Ye has it all, a man above all man, obviously he would have limitless choices in women. Shu Mei does not believe that he would be willing to wait for her iceberg heart to melt. She just needs to be steady in her determination and not accept him, that way, he will have no choice to give up.

"Only time will tell. I am not like other girls, my heart is frozen, and I will not fall in love. Bai Ye, I am telling you now, you are wasting your time with me," said Shu Mei harshly.

He squeezed her waist and held her tighter and sighed. "I know. But like I said, Shu Mei, I have no choice, my heart and mind is fixated on you. I only want to dig out my heart to show you my sincerity."

They continued to fly in silence, only the sound of rustling wind and their synchronised heart beats could be heard by the pair as each became lost in their own thoughts.

Eventually, they reached the villa in the outskirts that belonged to his sect. Bai Ye frowned as he came closer to the villa. There seems to be something wrong, the doors were slightly ajar and unguarded. After they landed Bai Ye ran into the villa and was greeted a horrific sight.

Dead bodies laid in puddles of blood was strewn all over the courtyard. Bai Ye and Shu Mei looked around frantically to see blood spatters all over the walls. 

Following a trail of bloody foot prints they could see more bodies in each room and hallway as they passed through.

 They looked at each other gravely, understanding that everyone from his sect in this region is probably dead.