Your eyes light up

Shu Mei stayed with Grandma Shu and held her hands until she fell asleep. When she heard light snores coming from the beloved woman, Shu Mei smiled and gently released her hand before lifting it up, giving it a good stretch. 

It was still early in the night but possibly due to being able to put down the heavy stone in her heart, Grandma Shu sleep soundly without dreams throughout the whole night and didn't wake up until midday the next day. She felt refreshed and youthful, as if overnight she had gained back ten years of her life.

Despite every inch for her body yearning for the comfortable bed after travelling by carriage for the last five days, and that her weary body is starting to reach its limits, Shu Mei had another thing to do before she is forced to move to the Huang Manor. 

Then she remembered the events this morning and the eyesore that is waiting for her.

Shu Mei had been so anxious to see her family that she had flat out refused to settle in the Huang Manor first before rushing straight to the Feng's house. Unable to deny Shu Mei's wishes, Yu Li had settled on a compromise, they agreed that she could spend the first night with her family, but tomorrow they need to settle in the Huang Manor where she must start her new role and identity.

Shu Mei agreed begrudgingly and as soon as the carriage had slowed down, she quickly jumped off the carriage before the driver had a chance to fully stop. She was beyond excited to get rid of Yu Li for the day and was about to step a foot forward when she felt him land down next to her. She had looked at him incredulously and before she could say a word, he strode into the Feng front door.

"What are you doing?" she asked with clenched teeth.

"I'm visiting my future in-laws' residence, is there a problem? Oh, and I will be imposing on their hospitality, I hope they don't mind," he said calmly without any shame.

"Yes, big problem. They are not your in-laws, and this is rude, you are imposing on our family time!" she seethed.

"Shu Mei, I need to make something clear to you. You will be my woman in this life, I regret that I not been forthright and honest with you these last five years. But heed this, I will not make this mistake again. Wherever I am, you will always be by my side, and today, I choose to stay by your side. So, if the Feng family would not give me a room, I will be forced to share with you or remove the family," he said with a smile.

"You dare! I will kill you if you dare touch my family, even if it takes every bit of my strength!" she said in fury.

"In that case, we will at least die together, like two lovebirds," he said with a smile.

"No, more like mortal enemies," she replied.

Yu Li chuckled as he leaned in and whispered, "that is a tragedy, so let's not ruin this happy reunion with death."

In Shu Mei's mind, the level of Yu Li's clinginess and brazenness is bizarre and so out of character compared to the cold and quiet general she knew before. It seems that the more she despised him, the more his possessiveness is fuelled. She did not want to go back wearing those darn handcuffs again, therefore, she settled in her mind that she would simply ignore the lunatic and try to enjoy her life as if he is not around. He can do whatever he wants, it doesn't concern her, treat him as an annoying mosquito to quash!

When Shu Mei saw the front door and the size of the gates, she was amazed at the Feng family's ability to be able to acquire such a large and imposing residence in the relatively short years. Stepping into the front gardens, she realised the extent of the Feng's capabilities. 

The villa is impressive and elegantly furnished, if one didn't know the background of the Feng's, they would have guessed that the villa was occupied by generations of high-class merchants. Shu Mei had chuckled to herself; this proves that money has such an incredible power, it can literally change your family tree.

Now that it is dark, the villa is lit up with elegantly made lanterns that casts lights at interesting points on the walkway and highlights feature stones in some parts of the gardens. With the closed door behind her, Shu Mei's eyes wandered around, following the dancing lights, and then looked up at the spectacular starry night sky. At that moment, seeing the sky full of twinkling lights triggered a memory and a sadness enveloped her body and tears unconsciously formed in her eyes.

Then she heard a familiar voice which had whispered huskily in her ears and had given her goosebumps that night when they were sitting on top of the rooftop and watched the same starry night sky, "it cannot be helped, Lu Bai, since you have committed to taking responsibility for me, I am your person in life and ghost in death..."

Shu Mei felt a pang in her heart and closed her eyes letting two droplets wet her cheeks as her hand beat against her chest. But the relief she was hoping for didn't come and her heart twisted painfully when her body remembered the warmth of his breath in her ears and the dazzling cheeky smile. 

"Lies," she whispered to herself as she quickly wiped away the tears with her hands and plastered a forced smile on her face and took a she step towards the main hall.

"Shu Mei, may I have a word," said a gentle female voice behind her.

Shu Mei turned around to see Lin Xi who had just stepped out from the shadows and smiled awkwardly. She nodded her head and gestured towards the garden. The two women walked in silence until they reached the garden when Lin Xi abruptly knelt on her knees in front of Shu Mei.

"Shu Mei, I know how this seems, but you must believe me, the love between Brother Feng and I are real. Please believe me," said Lin Xi as she looked up with clear eyes tinged with the emotions from her sincere heart.

Shu Mei frowned as she bent over to hold Lin Xi up, she feels uncomfortable having someone kneel in front of her, after all, she is nothing. When Lin Xi got up, Shu Mei wrapped one arm over her shoulders and pulled her into a hug which completely took Lin Xi by surprise.

"Lin Xi, you and I both know that without your help and attentive care, how could the Feng family achieve such a lavish lifestyle? They are talented sure, but really, the world of business and the elite is not easy to crack," said Shu Mei with a genuine smile. 

Deep in her heart, she knew that the girls tried their best and really cared for her family. That was enough to bring her over to their side. 

Lin Xi also smiled awkwardly, and her posture relaxed. This assassin is used to merciless killing and not familiar with physical contact.

"I'm no longer the ignorant girl you met five years ago, after all, I also have been trained by Captain Lu Tai. I understand your situation and since you have dared to break the rules of the secret service, it demonstrates to me that your love for Uncle Feng is sincere. Besides, even without all of that, I could still tell."

"How so?" Lin Xi asked in surprise.

"Your eyes.... when you look at Uncle Feng, Lin Xi... your eyes light up and it says it all. I also know that Uncle Feng is similarly smitten by his lingering looks and upwards curve of his lips when you speak. I can tell now, the soul can't help but speak through your eyes," said Shu Mei.

Lin Xi blushed a deep crimson red, her elegant but cold features and demeanour transformed at that moment into a young maiden tasting the first blush of spring, so pretty and moving. But Shu Mei observed that the faint moment disappeared too fast, leaving behind the original cold woman with a more despondent aura.

"I am embarrassed that I have weaved a web of lies to him, but, Shu Mei, I love him so much and I am scared that once he finds out, it is all over and he cannot forgive me," said Lin Xi, surprising herself with her frankness and honesty.

"I agree, you should start the marriage with honesty. Nothing good will come out of it if you continue to lie to him," said Shu Mei.

"But, would the General release me?" asked Lin Xi as she looked furtively at Shu Mei.

Shu Mei sighed and looked up at the stars for a moment without speaking before quickly recovering her composure and plastered the smile back on her face.

"He will, don't worry. You just need to promise that you will tell Uncle Feng and be honest with him, warts, and all, because paper cannot wrap up fire, eventually it will burn through. I want to see Uncle Feng happy and I can see my grandma loves you very much. This is the best way, Lin Xi, be brave and I will support you," she said with a reassuring smile.