Prelude to the battle

"General Huang, please help me! You always said that I am your woman and everything you do is for me. You told me that you will rescue me, and I will be safe with you around. Are those all lies?" pleaded Shu Mei.

Yu Li's cold face darkened and became an unreadable mask after hearing her words. Song Wei Li smirked at the silence that follows and looked at the Grand General meaningfully.

The Grand General admired the naturally beautiful girl and lecherously viewed her body. She was dressed in an elaborate red wedding dress with elegant dangling jewels that reflected the light and brightened her face beautifully.

He could see that her eyes held no trace of fear or trepidation, but her body was shaking uncontrollably. Her beautiful doe like eyes was misty with threatening tears.

The Grand General's eyes drifted to her delicate jaw line, slender neck and the partially exposed shoulders. He swallowed a mouthful of lust. This girl was the most beautiful girl he has seen in this lifetime. He felt greedy, a part of him wants Yu Li to hesitate so that he could have her first.

"Huang Yu Li, why don't you withdraw your troops and we can talk peacefully? If you resist, then I am sure our troops would enjoy her before she becomes a hanging corpse," he shouted before licking her face.

Shu Mei immediately recoiled in disgust. What is it with these lecherous men?

"Yu Li, is it all lies? You spent so much effort to keep me by your side for these five years, so why are you hesitating? Didn't it mean anything? Yu Li, help me please!" shouted Shu Mei ignoring the warm breath against her neck.

Yu Li's fist clenched so hard that his nails cut through skin and his palm bled a few drops of blood. But the pain was not enough to distract him from the kaleidoscope of images that flashed in his mind, the her now and the her in his dreams collided with each other. In his dreams she had loved him so much and yet suffered for him to the point of being raped by a pervert.

Even if she doesn't love him now, how can he allow it to happen to her again?

The things that they will subject her to will be unbearable to her and to him. Even if he surrenders, there is no guarantee that they will let her go. He drew his sword ready to fly up there and kill everyone in sight.

"Don't think about it, she has been fed  a poison that will burn her insides if she does not receive an antidote by nightfall. Even if you kill everyone on this wall, Shu Mei will die. Surrender and she will live, you two can go off somewhere to be lovebirds for the rest of your lives, I don't care," shouted the Grand General.

"Despicable scums, to use a woman as leverage, are you not ashamed of yourselves? Look, these men here are all ready and willing to fight a noble battle, but you hide behind a woman's skirt to keep yourselves safe!" yelled Yu Li losing himself in anger.

"If it means that people do not die uselessly, then history will recognise us as the true hero," said Song Wei Li.

"Wei Li?" asked Shu Mei with imploring eyes.

Wei Li felt guilty as if his mask has been pulled off by her eyes, he diverted his eyes and acted like he didn't hear her. Shu Mei smirked internally, she knows her true enemies now and just waiting on Yu Li's final move. 

Before they all die, she must satisfy the questions she has in her heart.

"Yu Li, these people are despicable as you said. Do not worry about me, let me go so you can achieve your lofty dreams. Before we part forever, can you give me this mercy and tell me why you kidnapped me? Please, I need to know why you 'loved' me before even seeing each other. Let me die..." shouted Shu Mei but before she could finish her sentence the Grand General had landed a punch in her stomach.