Shu Mei wakes up

Shu Mei slowly opened her eyes as she regained consciousness to see the shocking sight of thousands of dead bodies stacked in piles and the stone ground stained heavily with blood. The horrific scene instantly shook her out of the initial daze, and she recalled that she had been poisoned by the Jin Delan in the middle of hand to hand combat. It was difficult to admit it, but she was really struggling in that fight and Jin Delan had the upper hand.

She felt ashamed after seeing Bai Ye's display of terrifying power today and blamed the gods for not giving her genius level abilities and only five short years of training. Shu Mei had felt that she was pretty good when she caught up to peers in the few short years and managed to tag Yu Li in their monthly sparring sessions but when she saw Bai Ye in action, she realised that she was delusional.

The gap between them is clearly too far apart, just like the opposite ends of the earth! Also, the fact that he took out most of those people just by speaking casually and laughing seem to suggest to her that the scheme was redundant. If she was the betting type, she would have bet on Bai Ye to successfully take over the demonic sects by himself. It might be an exaggeration, but she felt confident that he did not need her here at all and she was holding him back.

Shu Mei shuddered when she dared to imagine the damage he would have inflicted on this place if he was to unleash his full powers. She looked around searching for the tall manly figure but to her disappointment, all she could see were Zuyi sect disciples moving corpses into neat piles.

Judging from the silence around her and the sombre atmosphere, Shu Mei hypothesised that the battle is over and that the explosions had effectively disarmed the defences and Zuyi had emerged as victor. It is not unexpected that the one sided slaughter and the tens of thousands of corpses would dampen any celebratory instinct that the Zuyi sect may have at the moment.

"I would accept your heart and body as payment for saving your life," whispered a husky voice into her ear.

Shu Mei jumped and looked down at the strong arms wrapped around her body from behind. Then she realised that she had been nesting comfortably in his arms and warm chest this whole time! She felt her face reddened at their intimate position and realisation that this must be the reason why the sect disciples avoided looking in her direction this whole time.

"Thank you for saving my life, but you're barking up the wrong tree," she said as she struggled to get out of his strong embrace.

"So heartless, but that cold heart of yours will melt one day, I promise you," said Bai Ye as he reluctantly let her go.

"I owe you a life, shall we start a tab and you can collect when you want it?" asked Shu Mei as she straightened out her clothes.

Bai Ye stood next to her and reached over to gently brush back a stray lock of hair. Shu Mei looked at Bai Ye's face clearly for the first time and felt her body heat up as her eyes traced over his peach blossom eyes and manly jawline.

For an instant, time seemed to stop moving as they locked eyes and Shu Mei could read the complicated depth of emotions that his eyes held. What has happened between them for him to feel such depths of pain and love towards her?

From the corner of her eye, Shu Mei saw a shadow coming towards them breaking the trance she was in. She leaned to the side to see more clearly and was shocked again when she saw a skeletal shadow of the previously vivacious Yue Xiulan.

The last time she saw her, the twenty year old woman was locked in a power force battle with Bai Ye, but now Yue Xiulan looks just like an old hag with just skin and bones, her previously beautiful face is set with deep wrinkles and her luscious black hair now just a mop of limp white hair.

Bai Ye's mood completely soured by the interruption which broke up a very special moment he was having with Shu Mei. He looked at the half dead woman who looked no better than a corpse and should have quietly wait for death to take her. He smirked as he thought silently, this woman did not want a peaceful death and rather prefers punishment!

"Yue Xiulan, I applaud your determination. Were you trying to stab me from the back?" asked Bai Ye.

"Yes, now is the best time to kill you. Afterall, you have lost your powers and no better than an ordinary man!" she responded in defiance.

Shu Mei looked at Bai Ye in shock again and unable to understand what she meant.

Bai Ye laughed heartily when he saw Shu Mei's shocked expression which rapidly changed to concern. Despite not verbalising her feelings, he could easily understand from her animate facial expressions. His heart warmed up at the tears that are starting to form in her eyes as she tried to calm her emotions.

"Come over here and drag this woman along behind us," shouted Bai Ye as he signalled for a disciple and completely ignoring Yue Xiulan. Without saying another word he turned and walked towards the east wing.

Shu Mei shook her head as she could tell from his attitude that she would not be getting any information from him at this moment. She made a mental note to pry it out of him later as she followed him with five disciples behind her and one holding Yue Xiulan's arm as she limped along.

They walked past gardens and corridors until they reached a wooden building. The doors are shut and the overall ambience unwelcoming. Shu Mei recognised this place as where Xan Teo took them to and tried to trick them into wearing the black metal chain.

She had initially felt an inexplicable guardedness against Xan Tao's suggestions and especially when they realise that his mole was his twin brother. When she saw Xan Teo, alarm bells rang in her mind and her intuition felt that something was off. It was after he took them to this building did, she make up her mind to reject his help and warn Bai Ye.

But to her surprise, Bai Ye was an old fox and seemed completely unsurprised at Xan Teo's attempt to double cross them. Instead he easily made Xan Teo wear the chain as well pulling in a passer-by to play Shu Mei.

Bai Ye had pressed their acupuncture points to mute them before setting up the illusion that deceived Yue Xiulan. He had explained to her that it would be more fun when she discovers the identity of the man she whipped to death. Shu Mei thought that it was cruel but did not argue with him, after all, Xan Teo had it coming to him. She did not want to think about what he would do to Xan Tao when he returned to the sect.

After the disciples kicked down the doors, they were instantly hit with a blast of heat from inside. Shu Mei looked around curiously at the interior of the large hall with high ceilings and centred around a big pot over a fire. The pot, the size of a small room was made from pure gold and held some sort of red liquid that slowly bubbled away over a low fire.

To her horror there were bags hanging from the roof beams that were dripping droplets of red liquid continuously feeding the big pot. There were some dry bags as well but those are in the minority. After a quick glance she could tell there were around fifteen bags hanging there. Feeling a bad premonition, she hesitated to look too closely at those bags and unconsciously stepped closer to Bai Ye.

"Yue Xiulan, because you dared to attack me again, I will take it as you do not want a peaceful death. I will grant your wish and let you join those souls you have killed to get your elixir. Tie her legs up and hang her over the beam there," commanded Bai Ye.

Yue Xiulan was looking at the pot of bubbling liquid wistfully until she heard Bai Ye's cold words and panicked. This is not the way she wanted to die! She would rather he cut off her neck right at this moment then die the humiliating death that she subjected those men to.