Destination Hangzhou

The next morning, as if on cue, the Lin sisters showed up at our hostel just as we settled for breakfast. Lin An introduced her sister, Lin Xi, who is another absolute beauty.

While Lin An is chatty and likes to tell jokes, Lin Xi is more quiet and subdued. Lin Xi's beauty is on another level, she is so lovely that I can't help stealing looks at her. Her walk and mannerisms is gentle and delicate, reminding me off a swaying willow branch in the wind.

Coincidentally, there was a mix up and the Lin sisters' family had ordered two horse and carriages to take them home. They offered to share a carriage and let one for grandma and myself to sit.

Considering my grandma's fragility and health, a carriage will definitely be much more comfortable than a mule and cart. With sincere thanks I gladly accepted their offer, making a mental note to repay their kindness.

Uncle Feng looked very relieved and thankful, now that his worry is resolved so cleanly.

I felt that since my rebirth, Lady Luck has followed me around. Is this really the good karma after a brush with death? Whatever it is, at this point, I decided not to overthink and accept things as they come.

The biggest hurdle would to successfully evade the people related to the Huang family when we get to Hangzhou and not go down the path I went before!

The journey was long, even with the beautiful mountains ridges and crystal blue waters to accompany our travel, the ride was bumpy and uncomfortable.

We had to stop a day to let grandma rest, she was suffering from sickness and accumulated discomfort.

I felt guilty for rushing the trip and not giving and alternative solution that would have been more considerate of grandma's age and health.

The Lin sisters kept mostly to themselves in their carriage and only interacted with us during meal times. Overall they were extremely accommodating and helpful. We still know very little about them and their family.

During times when we stopped for a rest, I caught Lin An's attempts to strike a conversation with Feng Yi but in return given single word answers. His responses didn't seem to deter her. In my heart I cheered for the persistent girl!

Feng Er seemed like a fish in water, growing more healthy and energetic by the day. It was as if travelling is in his blood! His wide smiles and all round cheer made the trip as lively as we could reasonably expect.

Lin Xi is more difficult to get along than Lin An, who is more chatty and cheery. Through Lin An, I heard gossips that are circulating around some key noble families in Hangzhou. As well, she shared interesting and useful facts about where to live, who to avoid, where to eat and who is betrothed to whom.

I'm a quiet person so when I interact with Lin Xi, who is equally quiet, we run out of things to say fast. The only person who seems to get along well with Lin Xi is grandma.

Lin Xi is very considerate and always thinks of grandma's comforts and needs first. When a question is asked and a decision is needed, Uncle Feng and Lin Xi's opinions always align. That is, whatever is best for grandma Shu, will do.

At times throughout the trip I wondered, between Lin Xi and I, who would people guessed was the real granddaughter?

As such, our party reached Hangzhou without any major disruptions or inconveniences. Despite the discomfort necessary with travel, we felt that this was a surprisingly easy trip.

Hangzhou is an extremely beautiful and wealthy city. It is famous for the Jiangnan canal which connects water trade routes, it's beautiful architecture, art and poetry.

The surrounding fertile land sustains the country's rice supply and silk production. With access to immense natural wealth, delicious produce and generally good weather all year round, the merchants and upper class live wildly decadent lifestyles.

So much so, that there is a famous local saying that it is better to be a rich business man in Hangzhou than a minister in the imperial city.

There are also beautiful temples nestled in the scenic mountains. Thinking of the temples I couldn't help let out a bitter smile.

There was a time, while Yu Li was still the young master of the Huang manor, his favourite concubine was nearly successful in sending me to the nunnery.

When Yu Li found out about the scheme, instead dishing out punishments or at minimum a rebuke, he took pity on her tears and agreed to take her on a sight seeing tour to cheer her up.

At that time, I was foolishly smitten with the handsome young master and believed the crumbs of attention he gave me was all I deserved. I was grateful for being saved from being committed to the temple, but looking back, it wouldn't it have been so bad?

Fifth madam Li, might have been scheming but she definitely did not have a vicious heart, well at least she could have sold me to a low grade brothel instead.

Shaking off the tinge of sadness that threatens to become tears, I focused my attention on the city gates we were fast approaching.

Aside from the usual security checks, the passage into the city was uneventful.

Our plan was to settle in a hostel until we can find a house to rent. We will then proceed to find a stall to rent and start trading. Being fresh in the city with no connections and or real experience in operating a food stall, it does sound ambitious. But we have to start somewhere.

"Grandma Shu, the Green Bamboo is a very good hostel, famous for its food and relatively low price, it might be good for you to settle there?" suggested Lin Xi as we stopped outside a beautiful building with large entrance way.

A waiter spots us and comes rushing out to welcome us warmly despite our poor look and cheap clothes. Having a good impression of the place through the waiter's attitude, grandma and Uncle Feng nodded.

"We shall leave you to settle in, we will be back tomorrow to take you around Hangzhou and introduce you to our hometown," says Lin Xi as she held onto grandma's hands warmly before letting go.

After waving goodbye to the Lin sisters I asked for hot water to wipe grandma down and prepare to turn in for the night.