Coming home

When we got back it was nightfall and I could see three figures moving around anxiously in the distance.

"These kids, why are they not back yet? I'm going to go find them!" Uncle Feng's booming voice carried. I could tell from his tone and body language that he is very worried about us. "Let's just wait a little, I left them at midday and they promised me that they won't wander into the dangerous parts of the mountain", Yi ge ge reassured his father.

"Dad! Ge Ge, Grandma Shu! We're back!"shouted Little Er as he stopped to catch his breath. We have been sprinting for the last half an incense stick at least!

"Sorry....we're....late....but...we..." I stuttered as I tried to talk while trying to breathe and calm my heartbeats.

"Whatever it is, let's go inside first. We eat and then we talk." Uncle Feng said decisively. I know he is considering my fragile grandma who has not eaten and insisted that she wait for our return. Feeling guilty Little Er and I sheepishly followed inside. Looking at the table of food that has gone cold, I buried my head in shame.

Dinner was mostly prepared by Yi ge ge and ready to eat. While Yi ge ge went to quickly heat up the roasted bird he caught today. I remember the rabbit stewed I prepared yesterday. I quickly ran to our kitchen and heated up the pot. Once it started to boil furiously, I threw in two handfuls of wild mushrooms we picked today. Then I carefully carried it over.

Dinner was eaten in silence while Uncle Feng is brewing in anger. Grandma is more relieved and gently patted my knee as we ate. I understand that she will support Uncle Feng in his discipline but she is happy I'm back safely.

After the last bowl have been cleared from the table, Uncle Feng slammed his right hand down hard.

Bang!
Bang!

"Now explain!" he barked out his order.

Both of us jumped in shock and looked at each other worriedly. We stood up, folded our arms and kneeled down on the ground in repentance. Little Er looked at me and signalled for me to talk first.

"Uncle Feng, please don't be angry. I can explain, I know you are worried about us but we have good news!" I said gently, making sure I make eye contact with him before flashing my dimpled smile at him. It feels odd to act cute at my age, but we all got to use the tools available to us.

"Hmm...good news? This better be good and don't think you get away with some random excuse to make this old man happy!" snapped back the still angry man. It seems like I need to work on my winning smile.

Nudging Little Er to close the door, I whispered softly, "we dug up a pot of gold...shush...don't react loudly." Signalling Little Er to bring over the pot, we huddled closer together. I looked around and registered the shocked look on everyone's faces, especially Yi ge ge, as he spent half the day with us and did not expect this discovery.

"Little Mei saw a magical light which led us to a tree. After half a day of digging we finally dug up this pot of gold and silver. That is why we are so late, but isn't this good news?" Little Er added.

Grandma was the first person to recover from the shock and said, "it must be the gods looking after you after all the bad luck you have been facing."

Uncle Feng nodded, "yes, it is a good reason to be late...now let's see this treasure." Little Er passed the pot over to his dad to inspect.

The small ordinary pot should have enough money for our families to move to town and set up a small business. I think that's the best way to use the money and a good excuse to leave this village.

"Why don't we count how much is in it?" I asked. Uncle Feng nodded and started to pour out the contents. That was when we received and even bigger shock. The silver pieces and gold nuggets kept pouring out of the very small pot. The small pile kept growing as our eyes grew wider and wider in disbelief!

When it finally stopped, there was a very sizeable pile of gold and silver in the middle of the Feng's floor. Yi ge Ge gasped in disbelief and Uncle Feng seemed stunned. Little Er's wide beaming smile was plastered all over his face, eyes curved into half moons and dimples flashing brilliantly. Grandma we're wiping tears of joy with her sleeves. I'm stunned but not surprised at this turn of events.

"This is a magical object, Little Mei, you are blessed by the heavens indeed!" muttered Uncle Feng in a low voice. He looks worried and with furrowing brows continued, "with all this money, we have to be extra careful to not invite suspicion and trouble. With great wealth comes great responsibilities."

Looking at me deeply, he asked, "Little Mei, since you found the pot, it is destined be yours. What do you want to do with all this money?" As the room fell into silence I looked at all the faces surrounding me.

"Uncle Feng, can I suggest we carefully hide the money away in a safe place and retire for the night. We can meet again tomorrow to talk further?" It has been such a shocking day, that all my brain and body wants to do right now is to go to sleep.

Nodding his head in approval, Uncle Feng signalled for us to move all the coins underneath his bed and covered it with old blankets and clothes. Tonight it is likely he won't be able to sleep a wink while guarding the pile of gold and silver.

Grandma and I went back home. Following the same routine as last night, but this time with no disruption from Feng Er, both grandma and I fell fast asleep soon after.

As I started to doze off, my last thoughts drifted to the many possibilities and ideas on how we can use this money to save our villagers from the plague that is coming to us in a few months.