T H I R T E E N

My palms grew sweaty as I watched the interaction between Harry and who I had now learned was 'Mia'. She seemed very comfortable in this environment which would suggest that she had been in the flat before; to what extent, I was yet to find out.

I watched as Harry scratched the back of his neck, a nervous tick of his I'd picked up on. I felt glued to my seat, something preventing me from standing up. My hunger had suddenly subsided and the look of our food on the table in front of me made me feel slightly nauseous.

Mia sat on the sofa before making eye contact with me from across the room, "Oh, hey. Who's this?" She pointed in my direction, looking over to Harry, who had still not moved.

I was waiting for an introduction, something that would settle the nerves that were erupting inside of me right now. Mia's eyes trailed up and down my body, her expression unreadable, I wanted the ground to swallow me, whole.

"This is, uh, this is Elle. She lives here."

My brows furrowed on their own accord and my stomach dropped, that's it?

Her expression relaxed slightly and she gave me a tight-lipped smile, "Nice."

I glanced between the two of them, the tension in the air was thick. I licked my lips that had dried in my state of anxiety, still, nobody moving from their spots around the room. Finally finding the strength to stand up, perhaps anger being the thing fuelling me, I caught the attention of them both as I did so.

"I'll leave you guys, to... whatever this is," I gestured between the two with my hands.

I could see Harry about to speak before he was cut off by Mia, "Thanks, hun."

Forcing a smile, I gave Harry one last look before heading to my room. I could see him out of the corner of my eye, now starting to walk toward the sofa, my stomach in knots. Shutting the door and throwing myself on the bed in frustration, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, finding Cal's name.

My fingers danced over the screen for a moment before I plucked up the courage to seek some answers.

Who is Mia and why has she turned Harry mute by showing up at the flat

I locked my phone and sighed, staring up at the ceiling. In the time that I've been here, I'd never seen Harry act this way, not even in our awkward beginnings. A text tone tore me away from my thoughts.

Woah what do you mean Mia?

Mia is his ex

She's here??

Wtf

My heart stopped at the words lighting up my phone; eyes scanning over the screen to double, triple check what I was reading. I had a sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind, however, I didn't want those thoughts to be confirmed.

I had no response for Cal; truth be told, I felt sick. We were in our perfect little bubble, or so I had thought. Consider the bubble now well and truly burst. A million thoughts ran through my mind at once, had he spoken to her recently? His reaction tells me no, but how could I be so sure? Why else would she just show up?

My door opened to reveal Cal, a concerned look on his face. I had no idea how much time had passed since his texts, though something tells me it has been a while since he had been filming at a location around thirty minutes away. I had been glued to my position, sending myself spiralling further and further down the rabbit hole of overthinking.

"You okay?" He asked, coming to sit beside me.

My eyes stayed glued to the ceiling, fearing that if I looked at Cal for too long, I'd let my guard down completely.