S I X T E E N

Rolling over in bed, I reached out my arm only to be met with the bedsheet. Opening my eyes slowly, I glanced around the room to find Harry nowhere to be seen. I furrowed my brows at his lack of presence but laid back down nonetheless. Head resting comfortably on the plush pillow, taking in the view from out of the glass doors, I smiled to myself, this was bliss. The crisp morning left dewy drops on the trees around us and there was a slight fog lingering low in the air.

The smell of cooking wafted through the room grabbing my attention so I reached for the closest thing to me, Harry's hoodie, and followed the scent. Walking through into the kitchen, I smiled as I spotted Harry frying bacon, his back to me. Slowly wrapping my arms around his waist, he jumped slightly at the contact before resting back as I kissed his bare shoulder blade softly, "I was gonna surprise you," He mumbled.

"Hmm, I like this view better,"

Letting go before I forced him to burn the food, I turned on the coffee machine and pulled out two mugs. As Harry plated the food, he explained that we were going to take a walk down to the lake and maybe rent some kayaks. It sounded like fun, I'd never done anything like this before, but it seemed right up his street.

We sat on the decking again to eat, listening to the birds in the distance. I had no idea what the time was, but frankly, I didn't care. If we could stay in this little bubble forever, I would. I felt my cheeks warm at the sight of Harry looking at me, he'd thrown on a sweater to sit outside, bedhead still apparent. "Something on my face?" I asked as I clutched the coffee mug tighter.

"No," He smiled, "You just look cute in my hoodie,"

I couldn't fight the smile creeping on my lips, he knew exactly what to say to make me shy. Nobody had ever made me feel like he does and that scared me, it almost felt too good to be true. But, nothing great came from self-sabotage so I had to remind myself that this was worth it; that I would accept whatever came to me.

Wrapping up for the weather, Harry actually remembering to pack a coat for me, we headed out of the cabin and down to the lake trail. Harry's hand found his way to mine, locking our fingers as we walked.

"I hope you know where you're going," I said uncertainly.

"Trust me, I'm an expert at this shit,"

We had been walking for around ten minutes, each tree looking like the next, before Harry stopped abruptly, "I think I'm lost,"

Laughing loudly, I shook my head, "You said you knew!"

He paced around, arms flailing animatedly as he looked at the trees around us, "This is outrageous, you'd think they'd signpost this shit, I mean it's all just trees!"

I suppressed my laugh and pulled my phone out. It took a few moments before the map app loaded, "I have bad service, but it looks like we just go left here,"

Rolling his eyes, he took my hand again as we walked, rambling on about how there really should be signs around.

We reached a clearing in the trees and I spotted kayaks lined up along the short pier leading into the lake. I squeezed Harry's hand excitedly, "Well, we made it."

There was a guy in cargo shorts and a zip-up raincoat sat in a chair beside the kayaks, cigarette in hand. It would be too much of a coincidence for him to not work here, so we made our way over, enquiring about the kayaks. Deciding to share one, the guy handed us lifejackets and gave us a brief instruction on how best to paddle.

"Heaviest in the back, mate," He patted Harry's shoulder, making me giggle at the face he pulled.