N I N E T E E N

Christmas day followed tradition just like any other year. We would wake up around seven, cook a small breakfast together, open presents and then get ready to host Christmas dinner for us and Grams. My job ever since I was competent enough to handle sharp objects was to peel the vegetables while mum cooked, Jordan's was to find firewood with dad from the forest near our house.

Harry had texted early to wish me a Merry Christmas, I returned it and we arranged to call each other around 5 pm. I hoped he had a lovely day, he seemed close with his family so I'm sure that he would.

The girls and the big group chat with everyone in it had also got in touch to spread the Christmas cheer, my phone a lot more lively this year than any other. I loved it, this year I finally felt whole.

I was still in my cosy pyjamas as I helped to prep the dinner, there was no point getting ready and then potentially spilling something on myself. Bo was sat at my feet, Christmas jumper on, looking cuter than ever. Every now and again I would slip him an apple slice that was meant to be for the pie mum was making.

Dad and Jordan walked through the back door, a fair few logs in hand; we only lit the fire on occasions such as this. 

"That's bloody cold out there today," Dad said, shaking off his jacket and giving mum a kiss on the cheek.

I smiled as I watched my parents, still happy as ever this many years down the line, I wanted that.

Whilst everything was cooking, we all went to get ready for dinner. Grams came to us every year since our Gramp passed away, this year being the fourth without him. I missed him a lot, we were like two peas in a pod. I took the news hard and over the years the grief came again in bouts, the most recent being at my graduation, how he would have been so proud to see me walk across that stage.

Wiping the single tear that had escaped at the thought, I stepped into the shower and began washing my hair.

Grams arrived at two-thirty sharp, as she always did. We ate fairly early since she loved the company, but also liked doing her own thing, getting back to her armchair and a good book.

"Oh don't you look gorgeous," She smiled, bringing me in for a hug. I thanked her and complimented her outfit, she was always very trendy.

We sat around in the living room with a glass of Prosecco each, doing another round of gift-giving, mainly so that Grams had hers. "You all spoil me," She said, looking at the presents in front of her.

I thanked her as she handed me three gifts, Jordan doing the same.

My eyes widened at the first gift; every year Grams buys us all a new pair of pyjamas, though this year, mine were a little... risqué.

"Grams!" I exclaimed, a laugh of disbelief escaping my lips.

She looked over at me innocently, "Well I had to return the penguin ones now that you've got a boyfriend, didn't I?"

I could feel my face burning and I shook my head playfully, shielding the garments from the rest of my family's prying eyes.

Finishing our meal, I rested back in my chair on the verge of a food coma, Christmas dinner was top tier. Glancing at the time, I realised that Harry would be calling soon. Dad and Jordan began clearing the plates away and I collected all of the wrapping paper that we had left in the living room.

My phone starting ringing, Harry's name flashing on the screen. Everyone was in the living room now, a random Christmas special of some show playing on the TV.