Chapter 1 / Something new

Saphira folded her small light green wings that faded into ice-blue, at her sides. She rubbed her aching temples with her talons.

 A twig snapped, and her spikes stood straight up. Saphira lept into a thicket of leaves and spread her wings on the forest floor. The large green leaves brushing her forehead and horns as she hid.

A black dragon appeared in the small path created by animals. He looked lost by the expression on his face. Saphira hissed In outrage. What was a fire dragon dragon doing, wandering her jungle! She tensed ready to attack when she remembered what her mother had said; "wait and make sure that this is a threat you can handle," Saphira relaxed. 

This dragon was thin and alone by the looks of it. He probably had some training because of the scar that ran along his cheek. This dragon was no threat as long as she was quick.

She launched herself out of the thicket of leaves and slammed her chest into his. They tumbled over the undergrowth, Saphira growling and the stranger hissing in surprise. Saphira stopped the tumbling with her wings and planted her talon on his chest. 

"FEAR ME, YOU PITIFUL WORM!!!!!" she roared. Instead of trembling with fear, he burst out laughing.

"No, No! You're not supposed to do that!" Saphira cried. The dragon just laughed harder. She started lashing her tail. Saphira dug her hind claws into his scales. He hissed in pain. 

Then in the blink of an eye, he flipped her over.  Saphira gasped in fury and surprise.  

"You really are an odd dragon," He said, spreading his wings and flying to an overhead branch. His gleaming black scales glistened in the sunlight. 

"I am not odd," Saphira protested

"What's your name anyway?" he asked.

"Saphira,"

"Saphira?"

"SAPHIRA!"

He snorted. 

"What's yours then!" She screeched.

"Cadmus,"

"Who heard of a name like that?! NOT ME!" Saphira roared. 

"You are really messed up," Cadmus replied.

 Saphira lept up to the branch he was sitting on and sat down next to him. Mother would forbid this. Do I really care though? Saphira thought.

"Cadmus, why are you here?" she asked. 

"I was afraid of what my tribe could become; what I could become," He answered looking at his talons.

 "The light is fading, You need to find shelter," Saphira said.

  She leapt off the branch like a leopard, but Cadmus opened his wings to fly. She jumped up and grabbed his wing, he tumbled off the branch. "What was that for!" He shrieked. "You can't fly at night here! There are spiderwebs that could catch a full-grown dragon, and spiders that could eat you as easily as breathing. Don't forget the plants either," Saphira said calmly. Cadmus's eyes widened, "What plants? He asked.

"Those plants," She said pointing to a pink trap as it snapped up a passing bat. "Those plants..." Cadmus trembled with fear.

"They won't eat you unless you touch them. Come on!" Saphira cried, bounding towards the river. "I constructed a nest over there, you can sleep there," She said pointing across the river to a large wood nest. 

"Okay," Cadmus Agreed.

 The two leapt over the river and ran to the nest.

Love the book? Leave a vote or share with your friends!