Chapter 5 / In The Smoke

Saphira raised her head and looked at Cadmus. All his wounds were healed. She gasped in amazement.

"Cadmus?" she said, shaking him. He blinked and looked at her.

"I just had the craziest dream."

"That was all real."

"Are you sure? Because I don't think pigs can talk."

"That was a dream."

"You look pleased," Cadmus noticed. "I'm glad you're alive smoke scales," Saphira answered. He smiled at her, and she felt a warm feeling in her gut. Parodia had said, Use your gut, Saphira. The stars twinkled in the sky.

Suddenly, the ground began to rumble beneath their feet. Saphira jumped to her claws.

"Cadmus, get up," she said urgently. Cadmus got up and stood beside her. His wingtip brushed her own.

A herd of deer broke through the bracken, leaping and jumping over anything in their path. Other creatures scurried among them.

Saphira lifted her nose to the sky and a scent filled her nostrils. Behind the smell of deer and rodents, she could smell smoke. Cadmus seemed to smell it too.

"Saphira what do we do?" he yelled over the snorts and chitters of the animals. "We have to put it out," she called back. "How?" Cadmus asked. "Find leaves, big ones, and fill them with water."

Saphira spread her wings and snatched a cluster of large pink flowers filled with water. She flew to the source of the smell.

Heavy smoke filled the air, and glowing yellow flames engulfed anything flammable. The trees creaked and groaned as they fell to the ground with loud bangs. Saphira coughed on the thick, black smoke.

She dropped the flowers on the flames. The flames touched by the water hissed and sputtered out.

"SkyClan help us," she prayed.

Cadmus carried a leaf the size of his head, filled with water. He dumped the water on the flames. Half the fire went out.

Saphira flew back with him. Her wingtip brushed Cadmus's as they soared over the trees.

Then clouds covered the sun and thunder crashed as the rain came down.

Saphira stopped to hover, droplets drenching her wings. "RAIN!" Cadmus cried in glee.

Saphira spun around in the rain, closing her eyes and smiling. Cadmus started flying around. They met in midair, her nose inches away from his. Saphira could feel his breath on her face. She backed up, away from that awkward moment. She took a deep breath and headed back to the river. 

Love the book? Vote and share it with your friends, and support the growth of'The World Rising'!