Chapter 20 / Geography Lesson

Saphira stared up at the sun streaming through the drooping branches of the willow. Droplets had caught on the leaves, giving the tree a glass-like look. Eclipse was already gathering her things. Mud was plastered to her side, ruining her bejeweled appearance.

"We should have been long gone by now, sleepyhead," Eclipse threw a piece of cooked meat at her. Saphira picked up the chunk and chewed on it as she rose, shaking out her wings, and bringing a cascade of droplets upon her.

"I'm going to go wash this grime off me. You better be ready when I'm finished."

Saphira nodded at her, gathering up her sparse supplies; the picture of Koda, a few bandages and padded vials of Myberyl* juice, and a simple dagger wrapped in cloth.

*A type of fruit found in mountainous regions commonly used as antiseptic and enhanced healing for semi-minor wounds and burns. Toxic if ingested by any dragon.*

She pushed out of the drooping green film of branches, blinking in the blinding morning light. Saphira looked to where Eclipse was emerging from the now glittering ocean. Her once grimy scales shimmered like diamonds.

"We ready? 

                                                                                       . . .

Firefly blinked in the morning sun streaming through the windows, trying to remember where she was. Warm scales pressed against her own, and a creme and golden wing was draped over her body. Firefly was in Dawn's room. She glanced at Dawn. His expression was peaceful, his mouth upturned in the smallest of smiles.

As if awoken by her gaze, Dawn's eyes fluttered open, his eyes glittering and drowsy. Slowly, the expression of calm faded into a neutral expression. He then seemed to notice his wing draped over her, and he then lifted it above his head once more, leaving her feeling colder than ever. He stood with a smile, and climbed off the bed. 

"I have to fill in for Helios. feel free to stay for as long as you'd like. I'll meet you here a little after the bell tower gongs thrice," Dawn put on a white cloak, the edges standing up at the area where his neck met his shoulders. A blue polished crystal held coal together at the base of his neck, matching his stunning gaze. A golden crown - smaller than Helios's - sat atop his head. Circular blue opals were studded on the crown's rounded spikes, the largest in the middle.

"Why are you meeting me?" Firefly tilted her head.

"You wanted to know about the rainforests?"

"Oh yeah. See you then."

Dawn nodded and left the room.

                                                                                   . . .

The ground sped by below her. Horses and deer grazed in the sun-drenched fields. 

"We should arrive by noon! We're making good time!" Eclipse shouted. Her scales were much less visible in the sunlight than they were in the night. Quite an odd trait for a Moon dragon. Somehow Eclipse always knew where they were and how far they needed to go. Saphira supposed that that came with years of traveling.

"Yay," Saphira said unenthusiastically. Her wings ached, and she wanted to stop for a minute. She flew a ways behind Eclipse, struggling to keep up with the faster dragon.

"Don't worry. That's only about an hour. We might as well make the most of it though. What's the plan?"

"Plan?"

Plan. You know, the thing you do before doing a difficult task. like for example, Getting into the castle," Eclipse slowed her pace to fly by her side.