Chapter 25 / Royal Ball

Firefly watched as Dawn scrambled about the dressing room. This was the second time during her entire stay that Firefly had been in her assigned room. Dawn turned back to her suddenly.

"You should take a bath. It's just behind that door," Dawn pointed to a dark oak door.

"A bath? you have a lake inside?" Firefly tilted her head. 

"You've never- that's beside the point. Follow me," Dawn walked inside the room. 

There were bottles of liquid on shelves and a there was a dip in one corner filled with steaming water. It smelled like roses and fresh rain. A hook held a white towel, and more, smaller pieces of cloth were folded beside the pool of water.

"Bath. The bottles have soap to clean your scales. Cloth to polish your scales. When you finish in here, dry yourself with the towel, and come on out. I'll leave some jewelry on the desk. My friend, Pyrite, will show you and your friends to the ballroom. He'll be waiting for you outside."

Firefly felt a stab of disappointment at his words. "Why can't you take me?" she asked.

Firefly couldn't read his face, but by the waves coming off him, he felt the same way. "I have to be there early. I will meet you there, so don't worry," Dawn gave her a shy smile and began to reach out for her, but then seemed to decide against it because he closed his talons, color rising to his face. "I'll um see you there," Dawn's eyes were darting about the room nervously.

"See you there," Firefly smiled at him.

Dawn turned and pushed out the door, glancing over his shoulder with a shy smile. 

Firefly watched him go, heart warm.

                                                                                              . . . 

Dawn studied himself in the mirror in the area behind the throne room. A crown made from citrine glittered atop his head. The ends were made to wrap around the back of his horns. At the tip of the middle three spikes was a small sapphire, blue like his eyes. He wore no earrings apart from the small golden hoop on his left ear. On his forearms were armbands of citrine to match his crown. Imbedded in the armbands were three sapphires. He had already washed himself, the gold of his chest and wings glittering and reflecting light. 

Nova walked to stand next to him, looking at his reflection, "You look like a real prince."

"Do I usually not?"

Nova chuckled, her voice polished, "Not often no. You don't like it here. A blind dog can see that."

Dawn looked at the ground, "I suppose your right." Dawn laughed quietly and tilted his head towards the ceiling, "Sometimes I forget you're a 15 year old dragonet."

Nova smiled and looked up at him. "I see the way you look at Firefly, and her at you."

Dawn's heart dropped in fear, and his expression must have changed, because Nova's eyes became pitying.

"It's not very obvious. I know you very well."

A guard opened the door, clearing his throat to get their attention,"King Helios asked for the both of you."

Nova nodded, "thank you." Turning back to him, she said, "We best get out there. Time to meet your date,"

Dawn opened his mouth to protest, but Nova shushed him, turning him towards the door. 

As soon as he opened the door, the background of music and chatter became ten times as loud, bombarding him with noise. He refrained from gritting his teeth by a miracle.

He heard Helios call his name from the dance floor, and made his way towards his father through the obnoxious crowd. He plastered a pleasant smile on his face and stood next to where Helios spoke loudly to a few nobles.

"Dawn! There you are! I wanted you to meet Reflection and his daughters, Glimmer and Luster.

Reflection was a deep yellow color with no highlights or markings.His eyes were brown and he wore many golden necklaces and armbands. His two daughters were a similar color, except one was a much lighter color than the other, and they both had green eyes. They wore matching emerald necklaces and earrings. The three all wore fake smiles that dripped with greed.

Showing no interest in the dragon's daughters, Dawn smiled, holding out a talon to Reflection. Reflection took his talon, and though he still wore a business smile, Dawn could see annoyance burning in his gaze. He exchanged a shake of his talon with each of his daughters.

Dawn turned back to Helios, whose face had become subtly confused as the moment drew on.

"A word with you please," Dawn said, turning away from the three nobles.

"What's wrong with them? Not too sore on the eyes, hmm?"

"Why are you trying to set me up with somebody?"

"A king must have a wife," Helios said simply.

"You don't," Dawn hissed.

"I used to," Helios narrowed his eyes.

"So did I!" Dawn snapped, frustrated.

Helios paused, taken aback, "I didn't-"

Dawn took a deep breath, realizing that he had let his power slip. He turned away, walking to where his throne was on the dais. He sat down, scanning the crowd for the one dragon he hoped to see.

 He sat down, scanning the crowd for the one dragon he hoped to see

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Love the book? Vote, comment, and share with your friends!