Chapter 15 / Not All Friends Care

Firefly looked behind her to see a chestnut dragon with emerald green eyes and sliver fur lining his spine. 

"Uhm, it's good to see you?" Dawn looked extremely uncomfortable.

"You went missing for a week." Dawn's father held no emotion on his face.

"Yeah.... about that. I was kidnapped but not really kidnapped and then I almost got eaten by a Kelpie*, sooooo you know."

*A Kelpie is a mythological water dwelling creature. It will often take the form of a black horse, hoping to lure its victims onto its back so that it can drown them*

A tall, lean golden dragon bounded up to Dawn. Her left eye was missing, possibly from a previous battle. She wrapped her wings around Dawn and nestled her head in the dip of his shoulder. Firefly couldn't help but feel a sharp pang of jealousy.

The slender dragon tipped her head back to look at him. "We were so worried about you!"   She looked behind him and her face became confused. "Who are they?" She asked, her brow knotted.

"Firefly, Atlantis, and Ceadar," Dawn motioned to them as he said their names. "Atlantis actually saved me from a Kelpie."

Atlantis blushed and looked away as the female's eyes sparkled. "Thank you Atlantis!" she said, rushing to her. Firefly looked at Ceadar. Amusement glinted in his eyes.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I'm Nova, half-princess of The Kingdom of The Sun."

"Half-princess? what's that's supposed to mean?" Ceadar butted in.

Dawn's eyes clouded as Nova explained, "Well I was last in line for the throne, but after the accident I'm 3rd in line. Not that I would ever want it anyway."

Atlantis looked like she was trying to understand a hedgehog. "Um what?"

Dawn sighed. "Well I don't know if this helps, but this is Lord Helios, god of the Sun, and my dad."

Firefly nodded and then froze "Wait, you're a demigod?"

Dawn shook his head. "Worse. I'm a god."

                                                                                           . . .

Saphira walked through the forest to where Cadmus was resting on the beach. Sand was finely dusted over his smokey grey scales. He turned to look at her. 

"I'm sorry about before. I shouldn't have snapped at you," Saphira sat next to him.

Cadmus nodded.

"But there's one more thing. I learned from a vague dream that we have to find Koda in the Serria mountians," She pulled the picture from her pocket. 

"Saphira, I think that my journey with you has come to an end. I realize that you really enjoy this, but I only left home to escape the pressure of my father. I didn't hope for an adventure," Cadmus turned away from her, his eyes glistening. 

"Wait, Cadmus- are you really just going to leave? what about the world-and me? I can't do this alone," Saphira felt tears welling in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Saphira," Cadmus stood and turned away from her. 

"Cadmus, wait," She felt the tears fall and her voice catch in her throat.

"Goodbye. Maybe we will meet again soon."

Saphira collapsed onto the sand, burying her face in her paws and feeling her tears wet the ground. She had lost not one but two friends in one day. Maybe Dawn was the only one who had belived in her. Cadmus certainly hadn't. She began to cry, her eyes becoming puffy and red. she laid in the sand for hours, crying more than she had ever before.

The sun began to set when, suddenly, a paw tapped her on the shoulder. 

"Cadmus, I don't care anymore, go away!" she snarled, her voice ragged.

"I'm afraid that I'm not Cadmus," a feminine voice said.

Saphira jumped to her feet, teeth bared.

A graceful, slender dragon stood before her. Her scales were white and shimmered like silver, and behind her eyes were bright red diamonds. Her sclera was dark red, and both her pupil and iris were white. A pair of raw ruby earrings dangled from her ears. Her delicate head was tilted slightly to the right, as if she were listening to something.

"Who are you?" Saphira hissed, claws buried in the sand.

"I'm a tribeless*. I was just passing by when I saw you on the island. I honestly thought you was dead, but you're not," She shrugged. Her voice had a heavy accent.

*A tribeless is a lone dragon belonging to no one tribe either by choice or banishment.*

Saphira stood slowly. "I'm Saphira."

"Eclipse."  

Saphira smiled at the white dragon. "Nice to meet you, Eclipse."

"And you as well."

Love the book? Vote and share it with your friends, and support the growth of 'The World Rising'!

World RisingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara