Chapter 4 / Chance

Warning : Light blood.

Her mother stood on the other side of the river. "Mother!" Saphira hissed in alarm. "Who is this?" she asked, her voice deadly serious. "Saphira what is going on?" Cadmus whispered. 

"Get behind me." she said her voice shaking.

Cadmus inched behind her, his claws gouging into the ground. Saphira lashed her tail, growling. "You will go home now,"  she hissed. "No, Mother. you don't control me anymore," Saphira spat, still as a viper. 

"Oh? How about now?" In the blink of an eye, she lunged across the river and pinned Cadmus down. 

"CADMUS!" Saphira screamed. "Mother, stop this," she pleaded. Cadmus looked at her, his eyes full of fear.

She closed her eyes. use your power, you will find a way, use your gut, and heart. Ask yourself, What do You want?  Parodia whispered in the back of her mind. 

Her chest heaved with rage. Saphira's instincts took control, her eyes narrowing to slits and sparks flying from her mouth. She charged her mother, fast as lightning. 

Saphira gripped her mother's shoulders, drawing blood. They skidded across the clearing. "Never, ever threaten my friends, Mother," she bared her teeth. Saphira snapped her jaws shut around her mother's arm. Her mother slipped out of her grasp, hissing in outrage. and bolted into the forest.

Cadmus lay on the forest floor, breathing heavily. His eyes were unfocused. "Cadmus? Can you hear me?" Saphira said frantically. Cadmus showed no sign that he had heard her. She looked at him checking him for wounds. 

A claw-mark on his shoulder was not bleeding, but it was green. She froze. Her mother had poisoned Cadmus. "No," She said, tears brimming her eyes. She flew to the grove of thyme and picked the plant. 

Saphira flew back and sprinkled bits of thyme in Cadmus's cut. She ran to the campfire, which was smoldering, and lit it. She dried mint leaves and put them in a leaf full of water. 

Saphira opened Cadmus's mouth and poured the water in his mouth. He started to breathe more evenly. Saphira sighed with relief. She curled up on the ground next to Cadmus and fell asleep.

Saphira stood on the warm desert sands. Parodia and one other dragon stood next to her. "

Hello again, Saphira," Parodia said smiling. 

"Where am I?" Saphira asked 

"That I don't know," Parodia answered. "Saphira, meet my friend, Dustwing," she said pointing to the dragon next to her.

 Dustwing had ebony scales and large dusty-colored wings that dragged on the he smiled at her. "Hello," he said. "Why are you sending me dreams?" Saphira asked. "Dustwing believes you are the one who may save the world from destruction," Parodia said. 

"What about Cadmus? I'd feel really bad if he were to die," Saphira asked. "I've taken care of that for you," Parodia said smiling. "I am sending a challenge to you. If you can see it through properly, then the world may have a chance" Dustwing said. 

"Use your gut Saphira, and you will succeed," Parodia whispered. "I will," she replied, and Saphira awoke.

Love the book? Vote and share it with your friends, and support the growth of'The World Rising'!