Chapter 13 / The Guilt

Dolphins jumped in and out of the shimmering ocean. There was not a single cloud in the sky, and a warm, gentle breeze blew through her icy blue and pale green wings. Saphira's thoughts were all of guilt and grief. 

Noman's land was close now, but Dawn was not with them.

It's all my fault. If I had noticed sooner Dawn might still be with us. Saphira thought miserably.  

Cadmus flew next to her, matching her pace. His ruby-red eyes were filled with worry. 

"Maybe we'll see Dawn again," he said hopefully.

Saphira looked away. She knew it was not possible. She had smelled his blood in the salty water and saw his limp form drifting into the ocean's depths. They would never see Dawn again, not until they met him in the golden meadows of heaven. 

Cadmus landed on the pristine beach of No Man's Land. 

No Man's Land was free of dragon tribes but filled with outcasts and loners. Sometimes it could be dangerous, but at least they were freed from the troubles of patrolling warriors and ambitious rulers.

Mountains reached for the clouds, and luscious forests blanked the island in shades of green.  Rivers ran through the woods and emptied into the sparkling sea.

Normally Saphira would have been overjoyed to see so many trees, but grief clouded her mind. She trekked up the beach and into the forest, the slim black dragon following close behind. Saphira's pale green paws made no sound on the soft forest floor. Cadmus stomped behind her, His coal-black talons snapping every stick in his path.

Usually, Saphira would have made a comment about his clomping, but she was still unable to muster any happiness or humor. Saphira flew up into an ancient oak, settling between its broad branches.

Cadmus glanced up at her, his gaze worried. Saphira turned away from him. She heard his footsteps receding as he headed toward the beach. 

Saphira growled in frustration. Why did she have to make Cadmus feel bad? He probably felt just as bad as she did.

Saphira hoped Dawn had found a wonderful home in heaven, and she hoped that Dawn didn't believe she had willingly left Dawn in the ocean's depths. Saphira looked into the endless clear blue sky. Why was the sky bright, and the weather clear? It should be raining. Saphira had let her friend die, and she had done nothing to save him.

Tears welled in her eyes. Only the weak cry. Saphira heard her mother's voice. Never let a single tear soak in the soil. But nevertheless, tears ran down her face, and she wept. Saphira wept for every time she wanted to break down but could not. She cried for stun, for every decision that went against everything she had been taught. For the first time in many years, she let her tears fall.

But as she was rubbing her eyes, she watched as a tear rolled down her cheek. It fell to the forest floor, And she watched in silent fear and awe as a beautiful violet orchid sprouted from the ground, opening its leaves to the sun. Saphira wiped her swollen eyes. She would go on, not for herself, not for Cadmus, not even for the world, but for Dawn's memory. For her friend.