Chapter 6 / Departure

Saphira landed on the dirt in the campsite. Cadmus landed on the river bank behind her. He walked over. 

"What are you doing?" he asked. 

"We have to leave. It's just a feeling," she replied collecting her stuff. 

"Okay," he agreed. 

Cadmus helped her collect food, vines, and water. 

"What do we need a rock for?!" Saphira cried.

 "I don't know!" he said. 

he skipped to the bag and dropped it in. 

By midday, they had finished collecting their stuff. 

"let's hunt now," Saphira suggested. "Good idea," Cadmus agreed

Saphira ran into the forest. She dropped into a crouch and drank in the scents of the forest.

 She could smell a rabbit close by. She walked to the source of the smell and located the bunny. It was cleaning its ears behind a bush. Saphira pounced on the rabbit and ended it. 

She picked up the bunny and walked over to Cadmus. She crouched down to eat. she left half the bunny to Cadmus. 

Once they had finished eating they took off. 

The forest became smaller and smaller as she rose above the clouds. "Where exactly are we going?" Cadmus asked. "Newt lake," Saphira said shoving a map in his face. "Okay," he said. 

Saphira put the map away and focused on the horizon. For the first time in her life, she was leaving her forest into the great unknown. 

She took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. 

"Are you ok?" Cadmus asked. "Yeah," Saphira lied. She looked away, the wind whipping at her face. 

Saphira looked at the ground flying past below her. 

Then the familiar landscape of the green trees disappeared and vast plains took their place. As she watched the plains Saphira spotted a herd of horses. They galloped and jumped over logs with grace. The horses'   feet left trails of dust behind them as they cantered. 

soon a small lake came into view.

"Don't go anywhere past that lake, it's sun dragon territory," Cadmus informed her. "We'll just stay on the closest shore," Saphira concluded. He nodded in agreement, and they landed to rest.

Love the book? Vote and share it with your friends, and support the growth of'The World Rising'!