Chapter 3 / Troubles

Saphira woke to the smell of cooked pig. She stood and closed her eyes remembering what had happened. Cadmus would never take her seriously ever again.

 She sighed and opened her eyes. Saphira yawned and tilted her wings to reflect the sun. She lept off the nest and landed with a crunch of dead leaves.

 "Saphira?" Cadmus asked looking behind him.

 "That's me," she said smiling. "Cadmus?" Saphira asked. "Yes?" he said struggling to crack a nut.

"I need to tell you something," she said dropping her head and looking up at him. 

"Anything," he answered. 

"My mother lives here. I found you when I was out hunting for her. She's not that nice and gets very aggressive when she finds a dragon from a different clan in her jungle. She's probably out looking for me and-and if she finds you she'll kill you." She said quickly. Cadmus blinked at her.

 "Why didn't you say something?" he snapped, outraged. 

"I'm sorry, I am Cadmus. I don't want her to kill you," Then she did something she swore she would never do; she cried.

Her tears dripped down her face and fell to the soil, golden flowers sprouting from the damp soil. Cadmus grabbed the nuts and turned towards her 

"Can you-," he started, his eyes wide with confusion "um..."

"What?" she said, her wings dropping to the soil. 

"when did those flowers get there?" Cadmus said carefully. 

"Just now," she answered. 

"Okay, but tell me why while you crack these indestructible nuts for me," Cadmus said, trying to lighten the mood.

Saphira sighed, taking the nuts from him. She grabbed her stone from the pouch around her neck. She walked over to a flat rock and put down the nuts 

"You have to use a rock," She raised a rock and smashed the nut. 

"oh, tell me now," he said. Saphira sighed and gave him the rock.

 "well I hatched with power but my mother said it was a curse. It could create destruction or life. I never figured out how to use it," she said walking over to the flower and picking it.

"I know what that's called," Cadmus said missing the nut.

 "What's it called?" Saphira said, eager. 

"My clan calls it Builia which in the old language means; 'The Gifted'" He told her.

 "Oh," she replied. 

She walked to the boar "We can save the nuts for later," she said.

 Cadmus walked over his amber eyes reflecting her face. 

Saphira ripped off a piece of the boar and handed it to Cadmus. "Thank you," he mumbled. She ripped off a piece for herself and flew to the flat river stones. Cadmus sat on the sunniest rock and ate his breakfast.

 "What?" He said through a mouth of food. 

"It's just, I thought fire dragons liked the shadows," Saphira confessed.

 "Well I'm not a real fire dragon, I love the sun," He said not offended at all. 

"Cadmus, does your tribe have any scrolls on foretelling?" Saphira asked. 

"Yeah, why?" he asked spreading out his ebony wings.

 "Can dragons have that power?" she asked.

 "Yes, but it has to be gifted by a protector, or rarely can be a gift passed down," He replied. 

"I was just wondering-" Saphira started. 

"What were you wondering, Saphira?" a voice said behind her.

 Saphira whirled around to find herself face-to-face with her mother.

Love the book? Leave a vote, comment, and share with your friends!