Chapter 2 Roots

...
Alenia had just finished getting ready for the day, she had a list of stuff she needed to get off her chest. She walked down to the second floor of the Academy and saw Gale kneeling down in a corner picking at something and saw Noot with him too.
Noot: These roots are getting harder to pull out each time, can we stop for now?
Gale: Noot it hasn't even been that long, this is just a tough one.
Alenia: What's going on here?
Gale: Oh, Alenia. Your actually just the person I wanted to see. So...um...you know I have a thing where I tell you something really important at the last minute?
Alenia: Yep. All the time. Why?
Gale: You see...have you ever wondered why the Academy floats so high above Lamplight town?
Alenia: Well...I always thought it was just because of magic.
Gale: It is, but there's something else that keeps it lifted up. You see, a long time ago when the Academy was still being built the Wardens found these roots that have been sprouting out of the Earth. This wasn't your typical weed infestation. These roots contained a strong source of magic inside them, similar to Astral or Shadow.
Alenia: Is that what that thing is poking through the floor?
Gale: Oh...yes...Noot please go get Florian.
Noot: On it.

Alenia: Oh, these things look all rainbow-y

Alenia: Oh, these things look all rainbow-y. Kinda like that light spell I practiced the other day.
Gale: Yes, and then you accidentally shun in Pippet's eyes and he had to wear a blindfold for two days.
Alenia: Heh...!...yeah...
Gale: These roots grow every once or twice a year, well sometimes. They're kind of random, there's no way of telling when they will start sprouting. But it's usually around that time. However...they're sometimes an inconvenience, they can't hurt you but someone may or may not trip on one and fall down the stairs hitting their head first.
Alenia: Did...someone hit their head?
Gale: That was me.
Alenia: Oh.
Gale: Anywho, we take them out and store them safety away.
Alenia: Can they be used for magic?
Gale: Well...sort of...but those who have been observed using roots for their own benefit in the past have just...disappeared...
Alenia: Disappeared? As in, they vanished?
Gale: Yes, and to this day no one knows. It's a mystery.
Alenia: Where do you think the people who used the roots went?
Gale: My guess, they went somewhere else.
Alenia: Like Keystone?
Gale: No, further away than that.
Alenia: Well...I hope they're okay.

Meanwhile...
High up in the sky sits the Pillar of the Dragons and the Epics. On the Epics side of the arena Florafox is training with Diveodile, however on the Dragons side of the arena Eclipse has something for Luma. And knowing Eclipsed it's not a gift.
Eclipse: Okay. Luma, I've got a job for you.
Luma: Oh...yay, what is it this time.
Eclipse: Oh don't give me that, your always hanging around the exterior of the Academy and playing with puppet.
Luma: Pippet, his name is Pippet.
Eclipse: Right, but today I've got a job for you. You know I'm on night patrol, at midnight I sore around Prodigia watching over the main islands. I have to make sure that nothing ever like..."that" happens again, that's my job. So, I want you to go out and guard small sections of each of the islands.
Luma: May I ask why?
Eclipse: Because the last time we assumed nothing sinister would happen during the daytime the Wardens nearly lost all their magic, Prodigy was almost turned into a shadow mayhem, and the bridge to the Academy fell into the abyss.
Luma:...
Luma: Ok fair point.
Eclipse: Now I suggest you get started, you are strongest of all of us during high noon. Don't waste it.
Luma: Okay I'm going.
Eclipse: And be back by sundown...!

Deep in the Earth roots grow and sprout, they glow bright with magical energy. Energy strong enough to send people away from this world, and into another. They grow longer, thicker and stronger, it's so intense that you can feel it vibrating as the walk above the ground. Be careful now. It will be very difficult getting back home.