(1)

I sigh, and remove the spitball from the back of my neck, only for it to be replaced with a bigger one. I ignore it, and hurriedly copy down the notes from the board. I need these notes for the geography assignment, and if I'm going to complete Mark's as well, I need all the information. Mr Wilson is asleep on his desk again, he's no good. God Bless the internet. 

I finally finish the notes, and put down my pen, my hand aching. I yawn, and place my head on my desk. A few minutes won't hurt. I start to fade away, and I'm nearly asleep, when a massive thud radiates through my head, and I sit up dizzily. The football sits on desk, spinning slightly. Only a quarterback could have thrown it with that much skill. I turn around timidly, to see Mark grinning evilly at me. 

"Oops." He says. "Can I have my ball back?" I slowly give it back to him, and he snatches it off me. He tuts at me disapprovingly. "You shouldn't be sleeping. This assignment is worth a lot, and me and Brian really need at least a B+." 

"You'll get it." I stutter, looking down. "I finished the notes, I just-"

"I don't care Gemma." He cuts me off. "Just don't sleep on the job." The bell rings, and before he can carry on, I flee the scene. I keep my head down, and walk down the halls. 

I've learnt it's best not to make eye contact, it's easier to just blend into the background. You might wonder why I don't fight back. It's just easier to be honest. I tried. Of course I tried. But kids are mean, and it got worse. Elementary it was hurtful teasing, middle school, shameful bullying, public humiliation. And now I'm in high school. Same me. Same school kids. Harsher treatment.

It's a small town, we all grew up together. Every school has their runt. The weakling. The one who has absentee parents, who turns up to school without lunch, who has nothing to give to the school bake sale. I was that kid. I was easy to pick on, an easy target. When they found out I was smart, they hit the jackpot. Everyday, I get homework requests from people on the football and cheerleading team. I don't know why I call them requests. I don't have a choice. I'm their exclusive slave. Only they're allowed to give me work. I'm not allowed to except any work from anyone outside their inner circle. 

<><><><><><><><><>

I make my way to the cafeteria, kicking myself for leaving my lunch at home. I would skip, but I'm so hungry, I didn't get breakfast this morning. I act like a fly, and stick to the walls. I hurriedly join the line, and hide behind some mathletes. They're arguing about a pythagorus theorem formula, but they're both wrong. Phh. Mathletes. 

I grab a water and a chicken sandwich, and hurry to the doors, but they burst open and Mark and his dream team waltz in, a girl under each of his arms. Seriously. All you need is some slow-mo and some glory music. 

I jolt out of my trance, and realise that I can't get out. I'm not allowed in here, the football team has made that very clear. One tends not to forget ten head swirly's down a toilet. In a row. I quickly jump behind the mathletes again, who stare at me weirdly. I keep my head down, not knowing what to do. Mark's posse sit at the tables surrounding the door. They'll see me for sure.

"Dude." Mathlete one whispers. "Why is this girl so close to us?" I sigh, exasperated. Damn mathletes.

"I don't know." The other one answers. "She's Mark's isn't she?" Uh. I hate when people refer to me as his. But it's true. He kinda controls me. I'm not allowed to do anything without his permission. 

"Should we tell him?" He asks.

"I guess so." The other mumbles. "I'm kind of enjoying the moment. I've never had a girl so close to me before." I snort in disgust, and the mathletes push me forward, right in front of the tables. The whole cafeteria goes silent, and stares. I look up to see Mark glaring at me. Great. I'm caught. Like a deer in the headlights. 

I try to find refuge from behind the mathletes, but their hiding behind the chess club. Gutless. But to be honest, I don't really blame them. Mark scares the best of people. Because I'm too busy cussing the mathletes out in my head, I'm not prepared to run away, and both arms are grabbed. I'm dragged to Marks table by Brian and Jake, his two side goons, and chucked into a chair. The whole room is still silent, everyone is watching me, and I can see them all eager for the show they're about to receive. Mark strolls up to me, and grins. 

"What are you doing in here Gemma?" He asks."What an unpleasant suprise." 

"I was just-" 

"I don't care Gemma." He sniggers, along with his friends. "You're not supposed to be here." He continues, circling me. To say that I was shitting myself, would be an understatement. "You broke the rules." He stands in front of me, and stares, no emotion whatsoever. "EVERYBODY OUT!!!" He suddenly yells, and the whole school gets up and scrams. 

I've never seen a room clear out this quickly. Mark holds a lot of power in this school. The only people left are the cheerleading team, and the football team. Even the lunch ladies have abandoned their hair nets. The football team circles me, and Mark remains in front of my chair. 

"You little bitch." He spits out."Why is it so difficult for you to follow the rules?" I see Brian filming this, getting all of it. 

"I'm sorry." I squeak. "I only-"

"Shut up." He yells, kicking my chair. I jump, and he snickers. "Are you scared, Gemma?" 

I keep my head down, not bothering to answer. He suddenly grabs my bag, and unzips it, pouring it's contents out on the table. He grabs my chair and swings me in front of the table, facing everybody else. 

"If you'e going to embarrass me with your presence Gemma, I'm going to embarrass you, get it on tape, and use it as blackmail." Everybody laughs, and sits down for the show. He picks up my notebook, with all my notes. He starts ripping stuff up, and chucks it at me. 

"Those were the geography notes I needed for the assignment!" I protest. He sniggers, and claps me on the shoulder. 

"Then I guess you'll have to work twice as hard, considering Brian and I expect it due to us by tomorrow morning."

"It's not due for another two weeks!"  I whimper.

"Too bad." He jeers. 

He goes through the rest of my stuff, ripping papers, snapping my student ID. He laughs when he finds my make up, and starts smearing lipstick all over my face. I struggle, but I'm held down by his friends. He rubs it all over, and coos, sadistically. 

"You almost look presentable now. He starts groping me, and pours my water over my head. I whimper, and try to get away. I hate him. I hate him with all my heart. He sniggers in my face, and keeps running his hands over my chest. He obviously gets bored, so thankfully he stops. He goes through my bag again, and finally finds what he's looking for. He turns around, and I freeze. He's got my tampons. The little shit. 

"What are you doing with these, you little mutt?" He giggles and hands them out to all his friends, who unwraps them and throws them at me. He shoves multiple in my mouth, so I can't talk. They finally leave, after threatening more punishments if I ever show up here again.

Like I said. It all started with a tampon.