(9)

I actually managed to avoid Josh. I woke up on Monday, and almost leapt for joy when I realised that Josh was still at Mark's. Which means I only have to deal with Mark today. As long as I can avoid him, I should be fine. How hard can it be? I almost laugh out loud. I'll probably last until lunch. Maybe.

I hop out the shower, and get dressed. I look out the window, and gasp when I realise my bus is just outside. I quickly grab my bag, and run out the door, just missing it, as it zooms passed me. Uh.

"Need a ride?" I turn around to see Liam, leaning against his bike. I falter, not sure.

"On that?" I ask. He laughs, and nods.

"It's perfectly safe."He says, chucking me a helmet. I hesitate, before swinging my leg over the bike. 

"Hold on. He says, before racing off down the street. I yelp and wrap my arms around his waist. He zooms through the neighbourhood, and I smile. This is fun. I love the adrenaline rush, it feels great. I'm disappointed when I see the school and he slows down. I hop off and I rip off the helmet. 

"Thanks." I say smiling, handing it back. "That was fun."

"The adrenaline?" He asks grinning. I nod excitedly. "I'll make an adrenaline junkie out of you yet." He says. "See you later." He zooms off, and I head into the school. I see Mark at his locker, and I quickly hide behind my locker door. 

"Hiding from someone?" I jump, and turn to see the triplets. I sigh, and breath out.

"You guys scared me! I said, placing my hand on my chest. I glance behind me, to see Mark gone. I smile at the twins, and start to leave. They walk with me, chattering away.

"Gemma?"

"Gemma?" I snap out of it, and look at them. 

"What class do you have?" Adam asks.

"Calculus." I say, pointing to the door. We say goodbye, and I enter the room, dreading this moment. Mark is sitting in his normal spot behind me, and I sit down. He doesn't even look up, and keeps his eyes on his phone. I slowly sit down, and begin my notes. I don't know what is going on. He doesn't acknowledge me all lesson. This must be a record. Is he scared of Liam? My heart soars, as I think of the possibility that Mark and Josh might back off! I smile, and continue working on my notes. The bell rings, and I collect my things, heading for the door. I yelp, as the collar of my shirt tightens, and I'm pulled into the room. Jake stands in front of the door, and locks it. I turn and I'm surrounded by Mark and the entire team. I gulp. Who was I kidding? Mark leave me alone? Phh. Mark smashes me into the wall, and pulls my hair.

"If you ever pull a stunt like you did Saturday night." He growls, as I whimper in pain. "Me and Josh will mess you up. Do you understand?" I nod quickly, wanting him to let go.

"Yes. I promise." I yelp. He laughs evilly, and his friends join in.

"Not so tough now are we?" He grins. "When you're not hiding behind some gang?" I nearly laugh out loud at this. He was the one who ran for the house when Liam so much as stood over him. He lets go, and pushes me back. "You need to watch yourself." He says grinning. "Because Josh is at your house right now. Waiting." My blood goes cold, and I whimper. "Are you going to behave?"

"Yes." I say right away. "I will." He sniggers and slowly starts walking away.

"You can start by cleaning our football gear after school." He says. "Meet us in the guys change rooms after school." 

<><><><><><><><><>

I sigh, exhausted. I hang up the final helmet, and collapse on a bench. The team is out at practise on the field, and I had to clean all of their gear before they came back. I look around, and smile when I realise everything is done. Now I just have to wait. Mark is insisting on taking me home, to see Josh. I shiver at the though of what's waiting for me when I get home. It probably won't be physical. I'm thinking more of a mop and bucket. They usually only leave violence for the last resort. I know they sometimes go overboard, but I push them. It kind of is my fault. I know what angers them. I'm useless. I can't do anything right sometimes. I jump, as the door slams open and the team files in.

"Whooo!" Jake yells.

"We're gonna kill East side!" Brian adds. They walk into view, and Mark smirks when he sees me. 

"Did you finish everything?" He asks, dumping his sweaty bag on the floor.

"Yeah." I say, standing up, not liking the testosterone levels in here. He laughs, and nods.

"Good." He says. "Everything is getting back on track." He changes his shirt. "This whole gang next door thing will settle down, and you can go back to normal, doing what we say." He finishes, and says goodbye to the team. "Come on." He says, motioning me to follow him. I get into his car. and he screeches out of the parking lot, racing down the street, music blaring. I clutch onto the seat rest in alarm, and he notices, laughing, going faster. We pull into the driveway, and I stumble out the car shaking. He gets out, and laughs in my face. 

"You're so stupid."

"Hey Gemma." I whirl around, and see Ben and Liam on their porch. They stare warily at Mark, who smirks. "Do you want to come over?" Liam asks. Mark sharply jabs me in the ribs, and I know what he wants me to do.

"N-No thanks." I stutter, regretting my words. He stares at me disappointed. Mark shoves me forward, and I open my front door, Marks words ringing from behind me.

"No one to save you now."