(36)

Mom strides in, texting into her phone. She doesn't pay any attention to me, and sits down at the table next to Josh. She puts down her phone, and smiles at Josh.

"Hi Mom." He says smugly.

"Hello baby." Mom says, kissing his cheek. "How has everything been running?"

"Great." He says. "He motions to me, and sighs. "This ones been a handful, but nothing that I can't handle." She tuts at me disapprovingly, and I stare at her speechless.

"Why do you have to cause trouble?" She chastises me.

"How could you?" I mutter. "How-"

"Gemma." She groans, pouring herself a glass of wine. "It's been a long day. Can we skip the whole speech, about how I betrayed you, how you don't deserve this, blah blah blah?" She takes a long sip. "I'm really not in the mood." I really don't know what to do. In the end, I don't have to decide. The door swings open, and I gasp again.

"Hello Gemma." My Dad says, all business like. "Good to see you again."

"What is going on?" I ask, incredulously.

"What do you mean?" He asks, sitting down next to Mum.

"Why are you here?" I ask. "And why am I here?"

"We're here to start up a new branch." Mum says. "We have plenty of these warehouses in the country, this is a new one. We stay until it's fully developed."

"You run the entire organisation?" I whisper.

"Yes." Dad says. "We hire gangs to run each warehouse. Drew is our best manager. He's training Josh for us." He claps Josh on the back proudly. "You're going to be one of a kind, son."

"Why am I here?" I ask again. "Why did you have to drag me into this?"

"It has to be all about you, doesn't it?" Mom says. "You're here because you're a worthless brat. We had to put you to some use."

"This is unbelievable." I say, frustrated. I can't believe this.

"Go to bed." Josh says. "You're just annoying me now." He pushes Charlie away from Mark. "You to Charlie. You're getting up early tomorrow." We wordlessly leave the kitchen, and practically run up the stairs. We enter my room, and I let the first tear fall. I quickly wipe it away, before Charlie can see. I'm not going to break down. Focus on getting out. Charlie tries to hug me, but I gently push her away.

"I'm fine." I tell her. "Lets just leave." She nods hesitantly, and we open the window, and look out. It's getting dark, and we can't see the courtyard from here.

"Let's go now." Charlie says. "While their in the the kitchen." I nod. I can't be here anymore.

"Let's go." I say. We quietly open the door, and I sneak out, closely followed by Charlie. We creep down the stairs, cautiously looking towards the kitchen. Through the door I can see them all talking, and drinking. "We can't get to the courtyard without going past the kitchen." I mutter. "They'll see us."

"We have to risk it." Charlie pleads.

"No." I sigh heavily. "They will see us both."

"What do we do?" She asks. I look at her smiling slightly. I know what I have to do.

"You have to go." I say softly.

"No." She insists.

"Yes." I cut off her off gently. "I will go into the kitchen, and shut the door. Get to the courtyard. I'll be right behind you." She looks at me and frowns.

"This is not happening." She says. "I'm not leaving you."

"The only reason you're here." I continue, trying to keep my voice calm. "Is because of me. You wouldn't be in this mess if you didn't know me. Go. Get out of here. Please, for me. Let me deal with the mess that I practically started." She stares longingly at me, and slowly nods.

"You won't get yourself hurt?" She asks. I nod, lying right to her face.

"I won't." She nods, and hugs me. I start to walk towards the kitchen, and I look back at her. "As soon as I close the door, run." I tell her. She nods, and I walk into the kitchen, taking a breath, and I shut the door. I look towards the table, to see everybody cleaning guns. Fantastic.

"What do you want?" Josh asks, exasperated.

"I have a question." I say quietly. "For my parents."

"What is it?" Mom asks, uninterested.

"Do you love me?" I ask slowly. I really need to know the answer. Because the answer confirms what happens when I leave.

"Honey-" Dad starts, but Mom cuts him off.

"No Keith." She spits, putting down her gun. "I've had enough." She looks at me, and sighs. "We always wanted a boy." She says. "We had Josh, and we were so happy. We didn't want another child. It only takes one to run our business. You were a mistake Gemma. We didn't need, or want you. You were the result of a night with no internet and a cheap bottle of tequila." I stare at her, kind of numb. To be honest, I'm not even that surprised. Should I be? I look at Dad.

"And you?" I ask softly. I do have some fond memories of my Dad. He would read to me. I remember. But then Josh got jealous, and asked Dad if he could read to me. He then used that half an hour every night to use me as a punching bag.

"Honey." Dad says sympathetically. "I agree with your mother. Things would be a lot easier if you weren't here." I nod slightly.

"Why did you keep me?" I ask.

"We figured that we could use you here when you were old enough." Mom explains. "And we wanted someone for Josh to practise with. And he has done perfectly." She smiles warmly at him. Josh chuckles at me.

"Does that answer your question?" He taunts. I nod, and turn around, going to open the door. I'm nearly there, when a voice stops me.

"Wheres Charlie?" Caleb asks suddenly. I turn around, surprised.

"What?" I stutter.

"Where is she?" He asks again. "It's a simple question."

"She-She's in her room." I lie. "Asleep."

"Really?" Caleb asks. "Because I just received a text from Brian who says that both your rooms are empty." I stare at him warily. Josh stands up quickly, but before he can do anything, all our gazes are drawn to the door, due to it being swung open, Liam, barging in.