His Maid, Frantic

The weeks grew longer without Sebastian, the servants screwing up, Corbin trying to mimic everything anyone in the household did, keeping records of everything from food to Funtom negotiations. An absolute mess is how you felt every night, suddenly you felt immense gratitude towards Sebastian. He goes above and beyond to make sure you're not overworking yourself. You sighed flopping down in a chair at the table, laying your head down on your arms on the table. 

"Y/n, what happened to your ring?"

"What do you mean?" you asked picking up your head. You gasped, your ring was gone. Sitting up fully and quickly you scanned the table and floor immediately. 

"Where is it?!" you asked redundantly, panic in your voice. 

"Did you take it off?"

"No I would never take off my ring!"

You blocked out all sound trying to rack your memory for the last time you saw it. You know you twist it a lot but you couldn't remember the last time you did that... except this morning when you were bathing Corbin. The soap made it slippery so you kept twisting it back on. Standing up abruptly you dashed downstairs to the bath praying it didn't go down the drain. You searched the floor, the tub, the sink, and counters finding nothing. 

What the hell were you supposed to tell your husband.

Checking your pockets you felt nothing, not even lint. 

"What if the cat ate it?" Finny said daydreamingly.

"Finny!" Mey-rin exclaimed. 

"Salem..." you looked at the cat sitting in the corner and the cat looked behind itself as if it knew you were talking about it. You sighed, "He's a smart cat, I don't think he swallowed it."

"Snake, is it possible for one of your snakes to find it?"

"We can try," he said in his Wordsworth voice, "but your scent is practically embedded everywhere, says Wordsworth."

Great.

~

"You lot don't have to help me look you know, I'll be fine," you said as they started devising a plan. There were six of you and six floors to go through. You took the top floor, Mey-rin took the floor with the bedrooms, Finny searched the first floor, Bard took the ground floor, Tanaka took the servants quarters and Snake took the cellar. Corbin stayed with Tanaka, you didn't want him on any other floor potentially touching or messing up any room that would need immediate attention. 

Searching the young lord's room, up turning his bare mattress, since you'd rather not wash sheets often you kept it bare to avoid dust settling on them. The cushions, under the chairs, and on his wardrobe floor you found nothing. The next room was his study. You shifted paperwork, books, over turning cushions and looked under everything and still no ring. There were other rooms to search but they all came up empty you couldn't even find a speck of dirt much less an entire ring. 

After about two hours of searching and re-searching, you all came up with nothing. Snake was lucky, the cellar was only one room and they were but so many places you could even reach.

Bard suggested searching outside while there was still sin in the sky, but you were certain it wasn't there because you hadn't stepped foot outside all day. 

"It's worth a try doll," he said rolling his unlit cigarette between his fingers.

The grounds were huge, from the edge of the forest to the back of the house was Phantomhive property. You checked the garden out back while Finny checked the greenhouse and Mey-rin, Bard, and Tanaka checked the garden out front.  Snake had the courtyard to himself and his snakes. You picked Corbin up and placed him on the chair, the arms ensuring he didn't roll over. You hated grass, it was home to bugs and other insects you weren't necessarily a fan of. Yes, you an assassin, afraid of creatures smaller than you. Thankfully nothing past the occasional ant crawled near you. At least nothing you saw. 

The sun was setting and the search became futile, everyone was tired and hungry even though you tried to convince them earlier to go back inside. You didn't want to eat however, your appetite was gone and you wanted to continue searching, even if the chill of the night air bit at your brittle fingers and cold tear stained face. Yes, you cried, you wanted this to be over, for this to be a nightmare, where you'd wake up in your warm bed with your ring on your finger. 

Mey-rin had taken Corbin inside for dinner an hour or two ago so it was time for his bath, and then for bed.

~

It was practically midnight. 

You didn't know where else to look, every crack and crevice of the estate and grounds were searched and night had fallen on your quest. You had practically given up, thinking of whether to go into London or York to find an identical ring or have it custom made, or to write to Sebastian relaying the news.

You made up your mind. If you couldn't find an identical one, you would tell him by letter, you couldn't bare to see his disappointed face if you waited to physically tell him. Burying your head in your arms you sighed into the desk.

Knock- Knock

"Come in..." you drawled out in a groan. 

Never bothering to look up, you assumed someone came to check on you. Kneeling next to you was Tanaka in his true state. You looked down at him waiting for him to say something, he pulled something out of his pocket and slipped it on your finger. 

Your ring, in perfect condition. 

Your eyes and heart lit up. "Where ever did you find it?"

He chuckled deeply, "A little someone slipped it into my pocket some time today, I just noticed it as I was going to retire."

You looked up at said little one snoozing on the bed. You forgot he liked playing with your ring as much as the young lord's. Sighing in relief you thanked Tanaka and he left. Admiring your ring, the tightness in your mind and heart went away finally allowing you to relax. The stress of the day washed away by tiredness and you fell asleep at the desk.