CHAPTER 3 - PHASE 2

In place of lunch, Draco took Pansy and Blaise back to the Common Room to eat, enjoying the solitude it gave them as everyone remained in the Great Hall.

"I don't get it. Potter thinks I'm gay. He's gay, and he thinks I have a crush on him, but he still doesn't want me. Isn't that how relationships work?"

"Not really. He has to like you for it to work. He probably doesn't."

"How you know? Do you even talk to Theo, or do you just suck each other's faces until you're numb and then walk away? It's not like you like each other."

"Oi," Pansy jabbed. "At least I can get some action." Draco mirrored her twisted face.

"You need chemistry," Blaise interrupted any fight that was about to occur.

"We have chemistry. I don't have any other enemy like him. It's a special relationship."

"Yeah, but there's a big difference between being an enemy and being romantically involved. You need friendship and a bond."

"And you have the best opportunity working on this project with him," Pansy said.

Draco just scoffed and zoned out. He reached forward and grabbed the newspaper, which was next to his finished plate on the coffee table.

Draco unfolded it, feeling a searing hatred as he looked at Potter who took up the first entire first page. "Bet he reveled in this. Potter's such a showoff."

Then he put it down on the table and flipped through it. The rest of the individual profiles filled the second and third page, but they were much smaller than Potter's. On the fourth page, there were pictures of all the champions together, and as the picture moved, it showed Potter looking up at Diggory.

And then Draco flipped through it more. There was a picture of Potter and Diggory together in the Hogwarts section. Potter's arm was slightly lower on Diggory's back than normal. "Merlin. Potter has a crush on Diggory. That's why he doesn't like me!"

"Or, you know, it could be the fact you got him in trouble in First Year and made him have detention in the Forbidden Forest; in Second Year you tried convincing most of the population that Potter was the Heir of Slytherin; you called his friends Mudbloods and Blood Traitors, who you have also outwardly expressed you want to die; you wanted a hippogriff to get murdered; you bully people you don't know, and tease him worse. Badges. The list is rather big."

"Yeah, but now I have a crush on him. That should fix it."

Pansy and Blaise gave each other a look.

"What does Diggory have that I don't? Sure, he's handsome, but I'm blond. I have higher status. I have more money than Diggory has ever even seen."

"He's nicer. He's genuine. He's good."

"At what," Draco argued.

"Being good. Potter is inherently good. It's in his blood. If it wasn't, he would have just let you keep bullying that kid like everyone else who passed you."

"He didn't do that for the kid, he did that because he didn't want me to have the fun."

"You don't get it," Pansy said.

Draco's eyes narrowed. "You know, I'm starting to remember why we didn't talk to each other for six years."

"Oh really, please tell."

"You became so obsessed with me because you're a control freak. Everything I did was wrong."

"Because it was. Your father suddenly got invested in you and decided to rip you to shreds. He turned you into an empty shell of a human being obsessed with power and status and money. We had so much fun when we were seven. And then you shut down and adopted Crabbe and Goyle like they were your minions."