CHAPTER 27 - TO FEEL SAFE

TW: suicidal ideation

————————————————

"I don't understand how out of all the people in the entire school that could go missing, it had to be my boyfriend," Draco snapped as he paced back and forth in his room. Pansy and Blaise watched him as they sat on his bed. "Him of all people."

"Isn't it always Potter," Blaise anticipated.

"Of course it is, but for once he can't take the time off and, oh, I don't know, let someone else intervene." He snarled. "Seven hundred students in this damned school and it's always one person who disappears... prat..."

Pansy opened her mouth to speak, but Draco beat her to it. "It's been six hours! How do you lose someone-"

"A mass group of people," Pansy corrected, but Draco didn't care to notice, "And a headmistress."

"—for six hours without a search party—"

"There is one—"

"Merlin, I'm going to have to do it," he threw his hands up in the air, "Is this what this world has come to? Harry Potter's worst enemy—"

"Boyfriend—"

"—has to conduct a search party because everyone is too caught up in their stupid exams to even care!"

"If you're forgetting," Blaise said, "Umbridge is missing, too."

"Good, I hope she's dead. I hope he took her to the middle of the woods and killed her. That better be where he is." Draco stopped, his hands formed into fists so hard, his knuckles turned white. "Did you see her slap him? She laid a finger on my Harry! The audacity! I almost murdered her right there on the spot. I could have. If I would have cast Avada Kedavra, I would have meant it. Does she not know who his boyfriend is?"

"Nobody does," Blaise muttered, which again, Draco didn't hear him, too lost in thought.

"I swear if I so see her in the corridor and I'm blessed enough for it to be empty, I'll wring her neck. I will! She'll be dead and I'll be gone before anyone can even blink! Or maybe I'll get her fired first so I don't get expelled. And on her way out, she might just accidentally 'slip' on a rock over the cliff and oops! She'll be gone for good."

"I don't think anyone would mind that, mate," Blaise snorted, "She's bloody awful."

"Oh, she's worse than awful! She's pure evil! I don't even think I have to worry about going home this summer; stupid Umbridge'll already prepare me for Voldemort! Ugh! I swear I'm going to kill her!" He kicked his wardrobe, causing the wood to dent, although it's not like he cared. There was a sudden tension that appeared, one he couldn't ignore. "What," he bit.

"What if it was the Dark Lord?" Pansy whispered. Draco's anger softened into a reserved fear. He too went silent, and he went to sit down on the bed next to them. He spoke quietly. "I was trying not to think about that."

"It's a possibility," she said. "A big one."

"It's not a possibility. It's a certainty." Draco swallowed and put his head in his hands.

"You think he'll make it?"

"He has to," Draco's voice cracked. "He always does. He's made of luck, remember." Though he was trying to convince himself more than Blaise or Pansy.

"Do you think he's in danger—"

"I'm not thinking about that, and you shouldn't either." He licked his lips and twisted the ring on his finger. "He'll show up. He always does."