CHAPTER 4 - PHASE 3

Draco met Potter out by the lake as promised, wearing a pair of trousers and a black button up. He gelled his hair back a certain way that was 'proper yet playful,' and even Blaise winked at him as he left the Common Room.

"You look nice," Potter said.

"Thanks." It was in his script to compliment him back, but Potter wore jeans. Jeans! On a date! And his shirt was two times too big. "You look er..."

"You're really dressed up."

"I thought we were supposed to," Draco grimaced.

"Were we?"

Duh! Do you not have any pride, or are you just that good? "We..."

"We're..." Potter looked him up and down. "This is supposed to be... what are we doing right now?"

"What do you think?"

"You said we were going to hang out. But... I mean." A ghost could've passed through Potter. "I-I dunno... Wait." Potter breathed as his eyes widened. "Er... Y-You have a crush on me?"

"What?" Draco pretended to look surprised and panicked. "How'd you know that?"

"I heard you tell Parkinson, but you didn't specify—"

"Y-You weren't meant to hear that!" You were totally meant to hear that.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to," Potter said. "I overheard it."

"And you're still here," Draco tried to shy away in a cute way, but he felt more awkward than ever. "That's why when you said okay, I thought... you wanted..."

"I guess. I dunno. Quidditch was fun, but I didn't think this was a... date."

The word made Draco physically ill. "Oh. I... Merlin, I don't know what I'm doing," Draco faked being flustered. Pansy told him to do it, and Draco at first didn't want to because it would just take longer to get Potter. "I'm wasting your time. I shouldn't have asked."

"No," Potter said, reaching out but not touching him, and Draco had to avoid actually flinching. He hated human touch so much. "It's fine. We can still hang out. We can..."

Draco couldn't look at him in the eyes. "If you don't want this, I understand."

"No, it's okay," Potter said. "We can be on a date."

Thank Merlin that this was fake because bloody hell, this was embarrassing. Potter was embarrassing. No wonder he'd never had a girlfriend, or, well, boyfriend. If Potter ever tried anything with Diggory, the Hufflepuff would have laughed in his face. Hell, Draco wanted to laugh in his face, but he didn't because he had to commit to the plan. If he didn't have a long-term plan, Draco would've howled at him so hard, he would have been traumatized. "How about we just talk? No pressure," Draco suggested.

Potter nodded. "Sorry. Am I making it awkward?"

Addressing you're making it awkward is only making it more awkward. You couldn't date someone to save your life.

"It's okay," Draco said. They walked to a tree stump which was large enough to hold the both of them. It was deep in the tree line, and if Draco was maybe older and more experienced (and Potter didn't just fight a dragon) he could've tied him to a tree and let the wolves get to him. "Er, so I guess we could start off by asking each other things."

"How did you know you were gay?"

Draco couldn't hold back a snort. "That's the question you're going to start off with?" He didn't mean to say that out loud.